Technology Dissertation Ideas Needed

HSK

Standard Member
Just want to say hello firstly :hiya: - I've been reading the forum for a while now but decided to sign up recently so I can pick the brains of the technology minded folk.

I am back at uni :lesson: - and I have the one outstanding module remaining, 8000 word dissertation. I did take this last semester, but because of issues with another module, I didn't submit to save my self from getting a poor grade overall. hence I want to get it right this time.

I need to get some inspiration on a topic, I'm doing Media Technology - So it should be focused on that. What could be some good areas I would be able to question, debate/argue and hypothesis?

So far I was thinking about Digital Cinema, something to do with data storage - solid state video cameras? Holographic display/projection...what's beyond LCD and plasma display technology? Storage used after DVD and Blu-Ray?

some of the modules I've done, which i could draw on were:-

Level 5: video production technologies, design for digital publishing, 3D modelling and animation for simulation, streaming media, sound design for the moving image, media management in industry and DVD production.

level 6: media business practice, exhibition and performance or digital broadcast media, or option modules; video post production, audio post production, design for integrated media or laser display technology and performance.

Finding it hard to come up with something interesting, or at least something where I can draw on alot secondary research (literature etc) and do my own primary... plus I'm not up to date on technology and tech advancements!

Any suggestions or ideas are much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

HSK

Standard Member
Cheers Loz, that could be quite an interesting topic which ties in to different things, will check it out!

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Something along the lines of hardcore effortless meadia streaming, like TV's with built in wireless cards \ network points to be enabled to connect it to your network with out the need of a media streamer? The whole kind of clutterless living but, the 3D and datastorage is a good way to go too, the whole whats beyond LCD\PLASMA has already been explored like OLED etc etc

Steven

Senior Moderator
How about technology [stocks] in relation to the credit crunch? :D

HSK

Standard Member
Something along the lines of hardcore effortless meadia streaming, like TV's with built in wireless cards \ network points to be enabled to connect it to your network with out the need of a media streamer? The whole kind of clutterless living but, the 3D and datastorage is a good way to go too, the whole whats beyond LCD\PLASMA has already been explored like OLED etc etc
Hmm that is another good one, which interests me alot. Thanks, I'll research this abit more.

loz

Distinguished Member
Cheers Loz, that could be quite an interesting topic which ties in to different things, will check it out!

the other things that might keep the cinema more advanced than the home cinema - at least for a while - would be things like

ultra high definition
The use of huge wrap around Imax type screen for regular films - not just documentary type stuff (good old cinerama)

all of these things increase the demands on the cameras, storage, editing/processing, distribution

And then you could ask/predict when might any of that move into the home, or not... e.g. the physical difficulties of having imax style screens at home

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Hmm that is another good one, which interests me alot. Thanks, I'll research this abit more.

I had this idea the other day and dont know if anyone has thought of it yet but I think it could be potentially quite a good idea, I for certain would like it in my living room without all the clutter of DVD\Blu Ray players and media streamers, how bout a TV that does it all, in my eyes brilliant.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
the other things that might keep the cinema more advanced than the home cinema - at least for a while - would be things like

ultra high definition
The use of huge wrap around Imax type screen for regular films - not just documentary type stuff (good old cinerama)

all of these things increase the demands on the cameras, storage, editing/processing, distribution

And then you could ask/predict when might any of that move into the home, or not... e.g. the physical difficulties of having imax style screens at home

China wants to implement UHD with 22 channel surround sound by the end of 2015 into the home cinema market

HSK

Standard Member
Where are you studying?

Our son just started his 2nd year on the same topic Multimedia Technology and Design BSc
Ahh Brunel! I was there at first doing Information Systems, but soon after I realised it wasn't for me, now I'm at TVU. Staying at Brunel would of been better I think, but i'm nearly done now, just want it all over lol.

Is his course 3 years? Hows he doing?

I had this idea the other day and dont know if anyone has thought of it yet but I think it could be potentially quite a good idea, I for certain would like it in my living room without all the clutter of DVD\Blu Ray players and media streamers, how bout a TV that does it all, in my eyes brilliant.
Yea, it would remove alot of hassle and clutter - I think I saw something on tech radar on a Sharp displays with BD?

China wants to implement UHD with 22 channel surround sound by the end of 2015 into the home cinema market
UHD was one of the topics i was looking at last time - would be a major factor to the whole cinema coming to the living room theme as loz mentioned.

only thing i worry about when it comes to technology is literature - usually there not any books or studies on emerging stuff, and if there are - they are not of much use because it all moves so fast!

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Yea, it would remove alot of hassle and clutter - I think I saw something on tech radar on a Sharp displays with BD?

But does it have built in networking, thats the future I tell you lol

Londondecca

I would recommend comparing to different models or concepts as a basis for your paper. It is often easier to compare A to B than it is to write in detail about B.

FaxFan2002

OLED on a notebook, touch screen keyboard mouse, buitlin wireless etc. Ability to read newspapers, mags on the fly and do the all the obvious computer type stuff...

FaxFan2002

similar yes, but a very young area and for the sake of theory could easily be expanded on - for example I've seen OLED TV's or OLED newspaper / magazine readers but not a "PC" / browser type device with 3g / 4g technology, solid state drive etc.

klr10

Bearing in mind you can now buy 64Gb memory sticks, I think it's only a matter of time before some company or another sticks an HDMI plug onto it (along with the associated control chips). You will then be able to go to your local rental shop and load up a couple of hi-def movies and plug the thing straight into your TV or projector. You heard it here first!
Seriously though, magnetic/optical storage is very soon going to give way to solid state devices.

HSK

Standard Member
Yea, data storage is really one i'm considering at the moment - just need more leads and info on it, and where it's all going, but solid state seems the way. at the same time i've read all about this holographic media, even organic media. but solid state seems the like, excuse the pun "solid" one.

HSK

Standard Member
I'm really considering the digital cinema vs home cinema debate. I know some of the points for home cinema (HD displays, good sound, Hi-Def discs etc) But what would benefit Digital Cinema to keep people coming for the experience?

The latest video from AVForums

Philips OLED807 Review, The High Price of Hi-Fi, Video Processors plus AV / HiFi News & More
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers