Technological developments - time to buy new?

J

JKeenan

How far has LCD projector technology come along in the last few years?

A few years ago I bought the Sony VPL-HS20. Quite forward thinking for 1080i I thought.

However, I've been wondering if now is the right time to upgrade.

OK...for similar money (about 2K if you get a good deal) there's the Panasonic PT-AE1000

Or one could splash out more (3.5K) for the JVC DLA HD1

Question I have is:

1) Is the quality improvement worth the extra dosh? (subjective question - but I would be interested in your view)

2) The affordability of top quality 1080p is coming down...so should I wait a while for the next big thing?

I've just replaced my HS20 with an HD1.
My HS20 was filtered and tweaked a lot and I was generally very happy with it.
My main reason for the upgrade was I felt it just didn't have the frequency response to make the most of 1080i/p material.

Whilst the HD1 is frankly gobsmacking with high def and the contrast available is phenomenal it really shows up all the inadequacies with SD.

It did take me a few months to get my HS20 somewhere that I was happy with and I expect the same sort of process with the HD1 : I've already spent a fair amount of time trying to improve my HTPC performance with SD material and a couple of bits of kit I use to distribute component about are exposed to have problems with the HD1. I usually experience a bit of upheaval whenever I replace a main display though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom