1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technisat Skystar1 Or Dreambox

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bigsinky, Aug 22, 2003.

1. bigsinky

bigsinky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of buying one of these cards. i know they are versatile but are they as good as the dreambox. i have been out of the sat scene for a year now and am just getting back into it. boy have things changed, where have all the channels gone? my old nokia 9500 with amon cam and a 6 in 1 card use to do a shed load of channels. i am resigned to the fact that the funcards are just not going to be fast enough and if i want to card share i am going to need either the pci card or the dreambox. i have seen the dreambox in operation and it looks sweet, but at £350 it is nearly 3 times the price of the pci card.

So what i want is pros and cons please for each.

cheers

big sinky

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    IMO the Dreambox is great for those familiar with Linux including actually writing code.
    The Skystar cards are for the non-codewriting users who don't mind installing.uninstalling drivers , codecs etc. but are not programmers.
    I canot advise on decryption in any detail as it could conflict with my job (I work for a USA IC company).

I actually use a Broadlogic BL2030 card and a Twinhan VP-1020
    but these are more for feedhunters, 4:2:2 and HDTV anaoraks
    (see www.dvbapps.com for background).
    I can actually read and see graphically the MPEG Transport Stream with the TH card and TSReader s/ware (www.coolstf.com/tsreader).
    I also have built/added a spectrum analyser PCB to the BL card
    http://www.moonglow.net/tvro/blsa.html refers.

Incidentally, I might be interested in your Nokia if you are disposing of it (and assuming it has an NDT auto-searchibng tuner in it) - may depend on where in the UK your are though.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely a Skystar won't cost £120 :confused:

I use a few DVB PCI cards in various PCs & they're OK for basic reception of "free" €uro channels, but something more advanced would be required for the satelite/PC "enthusiast".

Skystar 1/2 should be available for < £60 delivered.

:smoke: