Technisat Skystar1 Or Dreambox

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bigsinky, Aug 22, 2003.

1. bigsinky

bigsinky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of buying one of these cards. i know they are versatile but are they as good as the dreambox. i have been out of the sat scene for a year now and am just getting back into it. boy have things changed, where have all the channels gone? my old nokia 9500 with amon cam and a 6 in 1 card use to do a shed load of channels. i am resigned to the fact that the funcards are just not going to be fast enough and if i want to card share i am going to need either the pci card or the dreambox. i have seen the dreambox in operation and it looks sweet, but at £350 it is nearly 3 times the price of the pci card.

So what i want is pros and cons please for each.

cheers

big sinky

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    IMO the Dreambox is great for those familiar with Linux including actually writing code.
    The Skystar cards are for the non-codewriting users who don't mind installing.uninstalling drivers , codecs etc. but are not programmers.
    I canot advise on decryption in any detail as it could conflict with my job (I work for a USA IC company).

I actually use a Broadlogic BL2030 card and a Twinhan VP-1020
    but these are more for feedhunters, 4:2:2 and HDTV anaoraks
    (see www.dvbapps.com for background).
    I can actually read and see graphically the MPEG Transport Stream with the TH card and TSReader s/ware (www.coolstf.com/tsreader).
    I also have built/added a spectrum analyser PCB to the BL card
    http://www.moonglow.net/tvro/blsa.html refers.

Incidentally, I might be interested in your Nokia if you are disposing of it (and assuming it has an NDT auto-searchibng tuner in it) - may depend on where in the UK your are though.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely a Skystar won't cost £120 :confused:

I use a few DVB PCI cards in various PCs & they're OK for basic reception of "free" €uro channels, but something more advanced would be required for the satelite/PC "enthusiast".

Skystar 1/2 should be available for < £60 delivered.

:smoke: