Technisat HDFV - Spec says HE-AAC but only get 2channel AAC on HD Channels

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by skysnapper, Jan 11, 2012.

1. skysnapper

skysnapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi,

Does anyone own a Technisat HDFS. i bought one last week but am unable to get 5.1 surround from it. The spec says it does HE-AAC codec which is what BBC HD now broadcasts its 5.1 surround but my amp only shows 2 channel PCM being passed. Whenever i look at the status of the BBC HD channel (test one during the day which is broadcast 5.1) it says 2 channel AAC? on the HDFS, which appears to me it may not be able to handle it?
    I have tried connecting to a Pioneer VSX920 via HDMI and optical but whatever setting i try i get 2 channel. My amp is more than capable of recieving multichannl PCM via HDMi.
    Have tried contacting Technisat about this but have had no response. The firmware seems quite old (april 2010), but there doesnt seem to be a newer firmware about.

Thanks

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +854
    Does the amplifier decode HE-AAC audio (as far as I can tell the answer is 'no')? If it only does Dolby Digital then the box needs to transcode the audio from HE-AAC to DD 5.1 pcm for the amplifier to use.

I believe some makes of Freeview HD receivers can do this (e.g. Humax Fox-T2) but not all.