Technika LCD26-209 problem

thomastt23

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi There unsure whether this is in the correct category but here goes..Have Technika 26"LCD TV approx 18 months old bought from Tesco
Problem changing channels/sound/picture for about 15 minutes after switching on.
Resetting to Manufacturers settings also impossible even when warmed up?
Anyone else have a similar problem / and is it the start of a Terminal decline?
Finally who makes them ?
Any advice appreciated
Michael

First off, are you only using the remote control or does the fault also occur using any buttons on the TV itself? It could be something as simple as duff batteries in the remote.

Second, if the fault is with the set, check with your local Trading Standards Office but first read this Two-year warranty loophole (EU law) | This is Money

PS If you purchased using a credit card or credit agreement, you may well have a claim against that company as well, again, your local TSO will give advice in the event of problems.

Hi ..Thanks for your reply,I asked the same question to the Tesco Electrical help guy,and he said that they were made by several manufacturers to a contract specification and that one of the suppliers was probably Vestel who also make Digital Receivers for Tesco.
Michael..NB not much hope of getting it repaired when it does expire!!!

thanks ibear, Nothing wrong with batteries in remote..Tesco Electrical Helpline said its probably "the board" on its way out.Suggested I tried resetting to manufacturers specs ie put in standby,pull plug for 15 minutes and then retune..didn't make any difference! However thanks for the information about the EU Directive,which I will use if I have to!
cheers michael

If the fault clears after about 15 mins the no 1 suspect would be faulty electrolytic capacitors on the power supply pcb.
It could be repaired fairly cheaply if you are confident and experienced in soldering or phone around some small TV repair shops in your area.

Hi Jaycee, Thanks for that advice.,but I will take it up with Tesco first to see what they have to say..Michael

I myself have a Technika LCD26-209 and having the exact same issues as you are. Mine also changes channel's randomly when changing the volume or pressing the side arrows to view whats on next.

Teletext sometime's put's it's own number in aswel while im pressing down.

Let me know how you get on, i'll be getting in touch with Tesco myself.

I myself have a Technika LCD26-209 and having the exact same issues as you are. Mine also changes channel's randomly when changing the volume or pressing the side arrows to view whats on next.

I think you two should certainly make a joint approach to Tesco to demand a full refund under the terms of the Sale of Goods Acts and the EU Regulations.

If you read the article I refer to above you will see that the later a fault is discovered, the greater the burden on the consumer to demonstrate that it is caused by faulty manufacture or design. With a single instance this is obviously quite difficult however the simple fact that two of you have the same problem indicates a fundamental problems with at least some examples of this model.

Please note that under the extended 2 year period under the EU regulations, you also need to report the fault to the retailer withing a short period of it becoming apparent and I suggest you do this by registered letter or recorded delivery to the CEO of Tesco, referencing each other. (Go to the organ grinder, not the monkeys)

Mine also changes channel's randomly when changing the volume or pressing the side arrows to view whats on next.

Your symptoms indicates a duff remote control.

Your symptoms indicates a duff remote control.

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll have to try tune my sky remote into the Technika and see if it works ok.
If it does, i know it's the remote that's my problem :)

Or, take the Technika remote apart and clean the circuit board and rubber membrane with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Or, take the Technika remote apart and clean the circuit board and rubber membrane with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Got some good news and some bad news, tried cleaning the board and rubber with the soloution - no joy.

Sync'd my sky remote with the telly and that works fine. So it must be my remote..!

ITRUK..Sorry to hear that you are having similar problems with your Technika LCD26-209,how old is yours?I note that you have also had a problem with your remote,though I don't seem to have that problem yet.Have you tried retuning your set and did it make any difference to the warm up time from cold? I couldn' even retune so switching off and pulling the plug for 15 minutes didn't help at all I am waiting for Tesco Electrical Help line people to send me a FORM in the post, which I have to fill in regarding the fault and which Tesco Customer Services will eventually adjudicate.Is there any other information you have which you think I could include in the form? Best Regards michael

I have now received a reply from Tesco following aletter I sent to Tesco on 28th December,offering me a refund of £80[Tesco Gift Card] which if I accepted I would have to spend with Tesco! I have spoken to Tesco Customer Services about this and told them that I am not accepting this offer,and have asked them why they will not recognise the EU Directive 1999/44/EC,and they say that this directive is not applicable in this case as The Sale of Goods Act is the UK Law which covers goods sold in the UK,for goods up to 6 years old.Consumer Direct have advised me that I write to Tesco rejecting the offer as they appear to be in breach of contract and should offer a choice of either 1.. offer a repair, 2.. a replacement or 3.. Cash refund[may not be the full amount according to the use i've had!]Anyone have any further advise or any similar experience good or bad? any help appreciated Michael..NB Ibear have you resolved your issues with your Technica TV??

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom