Technika BRSS10 Bluray Player Hack for DVD & Bluray

Spyro

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought one of these from Tesco for my in-laws. Running it with a Sony 40" 503.
Found a multi region hack for both DVD & Bluray to make it truly universal.

Switch on
open tray
press "set-up" on remote
enter 9113

An additional configure menu will come up on the left hand side of the screen that allows you to change the dvd region to any or region free. Below that it lets you set the Bluray region to A, B or C.

To be honest for £50 it's a cracking little machine and as the in-laws travel between here and Canada it means they can watch any films they have collected on their travels!

Sadly mine dosent do this you must have a older or newer one with different firmware.

I have to say, this hack works! Also it leaves the config menu under the setup menu so you can change the Blu-Ray region to suit as it does not have the option to make Blu-Ray multi-region which sucks but at least it works. Question though Spyro, do you have yours plugged into a modem or not? I only ask as i am thinking of plugging mine in but dont want it to reset the player back to region 2.

Edit: it doesn't leave the menu there. At least not perminately. Once I had turned it off and on a couple of time it disappeared.

Last edited:
Hi Rokamunky, It isn't connected to the internet, maybe it does have old firmware? However I only bought it 2 weeks ago. I can't see any point in the up-dated firmware stopping the region settings? These things are knocked out by the 1000's in some factory in China and I would image a quick set-up for the region depending on destination would be preferable?. It also looks like it is a clone of an Insignia NS-2BRDVD as that is where I found the hack details. A guy on another web site was looking for set up details for a Harmony remote and posted that the settings for the remote for the Insignia worked with the Technika. Made sense that the region hack for the Insignia worked for the Technika as well?

Thanks got it working now that I tried again. Delighted to be region free. I had got this working with my harmony 300 by finding out it was a Insignia clone and posted that on hotuk Hadn't found the multi hack code tho..so thanks again.

Last edited:
Many thanks Spyro, I bought mine three days ago and it is my first blu-ray player so don't really know much about bd-live. Just wanted to know whether or not it is worth plugging it in. Thanks again for the hack

This is my first Blu Ray player too. I have a lan cable that I know works plugged in the back of player. But when I go to update option, it always tells me updates are not avaliable at this time. I have no blu ray films that use internet to access extra content, so I have no way to know if internet is working on my player.

Hi Passatcab, must have been your info I found on Hotdeals? Thanks. I found the hack info by searching for the Insignia model you quoted. It must have taken me to some USA web sites as there was a lot of info on them about problems with the Insignia in 2008/9. Hopefully all the bugs have been fixed for the Technika as on the original Insignia, the USB wouldn't work along with the BD live function. If you have connected your player to the web via the LAN and there are no up-dates available, then I guess the latest software is installed. Unless there are any problems playing any of the discs, probably not worth hooking up unless you specifically want BD live? Just for info I have played RCE encoded DVD's and they work OK.

Thanks again Spyro. I've used the usb to watch a divx film I put on a fat 32 formated pendrive. It wouldn't work with 2 fat 32 formated portable hard disc's I have full of divx's. So I guess that bigger pendrives may not work also.

Just picked one of these up :)
Saw it in Tesco, and thought it may be hackable due to it being so cheap :p
Searched and found this thread!
Watching LOST season 3 from the USA boxset right now :D
Thanks!!

I don't suppose anyone who has bought this has had chance to see if it bitstreams TrueHD and DTS HD-MA have they?? Would be grateful.

is it the remote out of the box that lets you hack it?

for £50 I'd love one, but not if I have to pay for extra stuff to get it working

is it the remote out of the box that lets you hack it?

for £50 I'd love one, but not if I have to pay for extra stuff to get it working

Yes it is :smashin:

Nice little player, hacks works perfectly. At first sight it looks a little flimsy, but it's actually pretty well built, and shrouded in clear plastic on the top casing and front. Sat in a convenient little space available to it, plumbed into my RXV667 ready and waiting - Harmony 525 loaded with the remote codes for the Insignia NS-2BRDVD too, so new BluRay activity now on my remote.

All I need now are some BluRay discs.

Did anyone else's player not come with any remote batteries ? Bloomin' cheapskates... ;)

P.S. Online manual here

Just picked one of these up tonight - what an amazing little player for under £50.:thumbsup:

If only one of the big boys would make one of their own players as easy to change regions as this baby.....

yeah the hack didn't work if you've already turned it on and been tinkering around with the player, it needs to be hacked when you first turn it on and not put any discs in

got worried, turned it off, then back on again and tried the hack, worked righy away

multi region for my dvds (just like my S350 is) the upscaling leaves alot to be desired though lol

although I don't have any Region A discs(some on the way to me) I did set it to A and put Sunshine in (locked Region B disc) and got the region warning screen so its obviously worked :)

also, the config player menu does stay, unless you turn the player off from the mains

I'd had it on and off 8-9 times and it was there, disconnected it to try on my other TV and it was gone again

Guys,

Looks like my stint of luck with this player has come to an end.:(

Played Avatar and encountered random freezing. Also, couldn't get disc 2 ejected for a long time. Had to try several times to eject. Thought it was with the disc and then loaded a non-BD-J disc and encountered freezing problems.

This one exhibits moire patterns and suffers from judder during slow panning shots. Have decided to keep my Curtis player and return this back to tesco.:lesson:

I bought the player and when i press set up nothing appears >.< been trying for 20 mins now tried everything how come its not working for me?

@Southe Unplug it, boot it up, and then follow the instructions. The option will not appear until you have pressed the 9113 after opening the tray and hitting setup.

Just wanted to thank the OP for this! Fantastic. Finally be able to get and watch Breaking Bad on Blu-ray from the states!

Hi
Just tried the hack and no luck, switched on, open, press set up on rc, press the 1st 9 and a "Prohibited" icon appears on the top right of the screen. Tried unplugging it and leaving for a few minutes but still no luck. :thumbsdow

Any ideas??

Thanks

Did you try the whole code anyway? The reason prohibited came up is there nothing in the player.

Hi

Thanks for your prompt reply, I can confirm that you ignore the "Prohibited", enter all 4 numbers and the extra menu appears on the left below settings.

This machine is excellent for the sub £50 I paid through Tesco Direct (£10 cheaper than in-store)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom