1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technics vs. Pioneer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by technology guy, Jun 18, 2004.

1. technology guy

technology guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to AV Forums; not to Digital Spy and some of you are on both.
    vBullitein do both though.

The question - Tecnics or Pioneer which would you buy?

Alex

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    As far as I know, the Technics brand has been axed by its owners, Matsu****a (who also own the Panasonic brand) and it is slowly disappearing.

In answer to your question, it depends on the product.
    Some manufacturers do some things better than others.

Personally, I've generally liked Pioneer products but my equipment rack also includes Sony, Denon and Panasonic gear.

3. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Technics went out of the separates market end of 2002 although theres still some old end of line cds and amps haunting around

they do 4 systems now- the SCHD350 and SCHD560 micros and the SCHE790 and SCDV290 mini systems. The latter has a 5disc cd/dvd changer. They all pretend to be separates systems in the way they look but in reality, are not a patch on true, separately powered components.

For sound quality, the SCHD560 isn't too bad, neithers the '790 and '290 but they are very gimmicky and unless you like lots of flashing lights and equalizers (not me) you could get better for the money. The 350 retails at £250, the 560 at £350, the 790 at £450 and the 290 at £550. Hths

Pioneer dvd players are imo the best on the market. They used to make (in the early 90s) amongst the best entry level separates on the market too- the A400 amp has a huge following still and i had the PDS505 Precision cd player which was very good for the money. Their NSDV990 HT system is imo the best sounding all-in-one system for sub £800 and has the added capability of dvd-a and sacd playback. The DCS222 is remarkably good value for £250 as well. Haven't heard the rest of the range I'm afraid

And their plasmas have the best picture quality on the market too, I believe.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The heavily over priced NSDV1000 by pioneer is an amazing system and is now knocking about at about £600 started off life at £1300, no one said it was crap just over priced (Plays SACD and DVDA).