• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Technics Turntable SL1200Mk2 V SL-DD33

markiii

yes I'll grant you that neither is considered an audiphile table.

However I've had the DD33 since new, and it's ok for the limited vinyl listening I do. That said I've been offered a 1200Mk2 FOC by a family member if I want it.

trouble it's not close enough to do an A/B comparison without mucho aresache.

so for the sake of argument, should I expect the 1200 or the DD33 to sound better stock for stock?

thanks in advance

chrissyman

The 1200 should easily better the SLDD33 i would have thought , when you see it and feel the build quality (12kg) its a fine piece of kit IMHO.

Jason P

Chrissyman,

The SL1200, far from being an 'also ran' in the hifi stakes is, with a few tweaks, a very accomplished performer. I've just replaced my LP12 (yes, a Sondek) with one and I think it's a belter.

Pros: built like a tank, superbly engineered, sounds good out of the box, all spares available, very little setup needed, you can tweak to your hearts content and for not a lot of money...

cons - stock arm on MK2 held back by wire, stock headshell not brill, feet not best in hifi terms, old models have often been abused.

BUT! all these 'shortcomings' can be fixed relatively cheaply.

If I were you, if you can get one FOC bite their hands off, set it up well with a decent cartridge, have a look at the Art of Sound and Vinyl Engine fora (the latter has a Technics section) and have fun!!

Jason

chrissyman

Yes i have been enjoying listening to one since last sept,:)
and have made a few changes to it, and i agree its marvelous 'astonishing clarity and drive/boogie factor.

markiii

thanks guys, I got it in the end and can confirm it was a huge upgrade

I've just added a proper power socket and gold plated phonos and a rega record clamp which tightened the bass up considerably

very happy bunny

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom