Technics SU-R1000 Integrated Amplifier Review & Comments

larkone

Distinguished Member
With such a reliance on digital processing internally then why didn't they also include UPNP streaming or internet radio - seems a strange omission in this day and age.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Are Technics and Panasonic related in any way?

I only ask as the remote control for this amp is practically identical to the remote control for my Panasonic CZ952 OLED TV!

The buttons have been reconfigured and relabelled, but it's the same accessory, which seems a bit cheeky for a near £7000 device.

Mind you, I think the Panasonic was £8000 in its day, amazingly, so not such a bad fit after all.

fordster

Nice review as ever, thanks Ed. This is not my cup of tea, too expensive and I feel I would find it too languid. I also think it is ugly but I realise I have very different tastes to a lot of people. I’m really not into the retro look that is the current trend.

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
Thanks for the review, we have has one of these in the system at the office for a few months and its definitely a fantastic performer. Just interested if you set up the load adaptive phase calibration on it? I don't see it mentioned unless I missed it. It really is transformative to the sound of the amplifier and a very unique feature.

Dan

davejones2

Interesting to see others point out that the remote is the same as the high-end Panasonic TV remote (mine from an AX902 / Dx902).

My first thought when I saw the price was a continuation of the concerns I've had about the re-introduction of the Technics brand.

Where does "Panasonic" end and "Technics" start? It's not as simple as Panasonic owning Technics and the brands remaining separate.

There are many clear examples of where Technics branded products are simply mildly re-hashed (or not) versions of Panasonic products. Noise-cancelling headphones; there are rebadged versions of the same product in different regions. The "Technics" C30/50 speaker range uses the appalling Panasonic all-series app and their sound quality is similarly awful, even with the fancy-sounding "jeno-engine" referenced above. The "Technics-tuned" soundbar on the Panasonic 2000 series sounds just as mediocre as any other Panasonic branded soundbar.

Turntables aside, the whole Technics brand seems to be little more than a marketing exercise for Panasonic in their lower end products. So at what price point does a genuine expert audio company actually get fully involved?

If I was going to blow 7 grand on an integrated amp I'd want to see some decent evidence that there actually is something behind the product (proper r&d, separate development & manufacturing processes / teams) rather than Panasonic simply having a bash at a "well made" integrated amp and adding another 5k to the price because it says Technics on the front.

Hoku

Credit where it’s due: that was one of the best Hifi reviews I’ve read ever. Not because I’m interested in the amp as such - way over my budget, but it was worth reading just for the fun of it.

Ed is clearly cruising for a raise - and he gets my vote.

karlsushi

It may well be my hi-fi snobbery, but I just can't take Technics seriously as an 'audiophile' brand.

I admit it's completely narrow-minded of me as I don't think I've heard anything from the company since my DJ-ing days in the 90’s (no doubt the 1210’s were the turntable of choice for many years), but when I think about the kind of kit available these days at (and well below) that price point, I can't imagine a unit like that ever being on my shortlist for a demo.

The 90’s still doesn't feel long enough ago to be warranted with the term 'retro' and I'm not sure how far in the future we will have to go for me to look at a design like that and think it has any amount of vintage cool. All I see is ’90’s budget electronics’.

Even if it was the best sounding amp ever made (which reading between the lines in Ed's review it doesn't seem like it is), I just couldn't bring myself to allowing it in my living room.

Each to their own, but not for me.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'90's' - you'll have a to go back a bit further than that to go 'Retro' :)

Back in the 80's I sold kit from 'Matsush*ta' under the Panasonic, Technics and Sanyo brands.

There is plenty of 'High End' kit from Japan which never hits the shelves of the UK or Europe.

Joe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kōnosuke_Matsush*ta

stblob

Use to be Matsush*ta, Panasonic was the video division and Technics the audio division.
Now its Panasonic corporation, they own Technics and have revived the brand as high end audio.
I believe!

Edit: not sure why I have an asterisk instead of the i?

HeartSleeve

I'm thinking perhaps a tad too Yamahaesque, much as I appreciate and respect that brand's quality and value, in terms of excitement.

The Technics is ugly too, in a medical equipment that scares the living sh*t out of you kinda way.

Good read though.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
What I see inside the amplifier dows not add up to that price tag. Two switch mode power supplies are fine of you are on a budget, but for HiFi, I prefer a clean transformer based PSU.
Similarly, Class D amplifiers, although very good these day, are also a cheaper alternative to class AB.

So for me the price is way off the mark, and the nice aluminium case and VU meters would not persuade me to part with my money.

jonasbaadsgaard

Standard Member
Shouldnt the lack of streaming service support be considered a minus, considering the cheaper excellent competetion from Nad, Naim, Cambridge Audio and many others ? For this 6999 asking price I would expect a complete product
The Nad M33 also has a build quality that in my opinion exceeds this from Technics

Last edited:

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
'90's' - you'll have a to go back a bit further than that to go 'Retro' :)
Do you mean this particular case or generally - the audio world? I guess that for some people born in the 90s, this time might already be considered as the 'Retro' and now, the question remains - should it be? Is it already?

DT79

Shouldnt the lack of streaming service support be considered a minus, considering the cheaper excellent competetion from Nad, Naim, Cambridge Audio and many others ? For this 6999 asking price I would expect a complete product
The Nad M33 also has a build quality that in my opinion exceeds this from Technics
It’s not an incomplete product, just a different one.

jonasbaadsgaard

Standard Member
It’s not an incomplete product, just a different one.
For that price, 7000 quid, considering the really good competition that come with streaming services, I think its appropriate to expect a more complete product.
I am not talking about useless features, but even many high end users use Tidal, Roon, Quboz or similar services..

DT79

Ahh yes. Less is more. I get it. Pay ablot more and get fewer features 😉
I took it to mean that a streaming module is the only part likely to become obsolete one day, therefore buying ‘just’ an integrated amplifier at least ensures it will as complete as it was ever intended to be for the entirety of its useful life.

Anyway, it’s an expensive amp for sure, but it’s perfectly legitimate for a manufacturer to design a (simple…plain…conventional - I’m not sure which word to use in this context but hopefully you take my point) integrated amp and it should be judged against similarly priced and spec‘d competition on that basis.

Mr_Movie_Dog

Standard Member
If you add a streaming module then you might as well add digital AM/FM module too which then would make this a receiver, not an Integrated amp. In this kind of a system your streaming function would come with the tuner you would add, as we did in the old days with this type of system.

It's nice to see Technics going back to amps again I really miss my 70's vintage 55w Integrated amp, that's when Quadraphonic's was big, which this almost looks identical too. I held on to it up until a couple of years ago since I had to replace all of the caps to make it functional again, I don't have the time to do so, what a shame really.

It's nice to see analog VU's I really miss those, LED bars just don't cut it for me.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Roam NC, affordable TWS earbuds
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba smart TVs add Amazon Music and Twitch apps
  • By Andy Bassett