Answered Technics STR-DB930 + Technics SL-1800 Mk2

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Lastboyscoutuk, Mar 5, 2018.

?
  1. Technics

100.0%
  2. Audio Technica

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lastboyscoutuk

Lastboyscoutuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, this is my first post on this forum and I'm a bit of a novice and after some advice please.

I currently have an Audio Technica AT-LP5, which has a built in phono stage, that is connected to my Technics STR-DB930 A/V Receiver, through the Phono input. I have considered buying a new amp, as I don’t think this is anywhere near the best setup.

However, I have the chance to get hold of a mint condition Technics SL-1800 Mk2 turntable and am seriously considering switching. Would I then need to buy a preamp to go between the Turntable and the receiver, as the SL-1800 doesn't have one built in?

Also, would I be mad to switch the turntables in the first place?

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Best Answer:
    Post #15 by Stinger69, Apr 1, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,440
    The 1800mk2 is pretty much a consumer version of the fabled 1200/1210mk2. Same tone arm, motor, quartz lock but with a suspended rather than fixed chassis. Depends on the price, these can go from £200+, one up at the moment for £500 but that is optimistic.

Receiver will take the 1800 but into the phono port if it is a mm cartridge or you can re-use your phono preamp into the aux port. (probably better).

Hope this helps.

4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,530
    Are you sure your "Technics STR-DB930" isn't actually a Sony STR-DB930? Assuming it is a Sony, it supports direct connection of MM turntables, so you won't need a separate phono preamp. Otherwise check the manual for your receiver if it is a Technics (and perhaps post the correct model number?).

If the Technics 1800MK2 really is both mint condition and going for a song, the switch could be worth while. Otherwise I'd suggest that you could likely spend your money elsewhere and gain a greater improvement. Of course, if you have the chance to try out your Audio Technica against the Technics TT, that would be optimal.

5. Lastboyscoutuk

Lastboyscoutuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for being a complete numpty over the receiver, it is a Sony - think I had technics on the brain when writing! Sadly, the seller of the turntable has pulled out of the deal - I was going to pay £430. I get the feeling he just can't quite part with it. As a combined birthday/anniversary present, my wife has offered to go 50/50 on a new SL-1200GR. Although I would absolutely love this, I'm not sure the Sony is up to it. I might look at a MK5 1210. Thanks for your help on this.

6. Lastboyscoutuk

Lastboyscoutuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, quick update. Bought a SL-1800 today for £125. Sat in someone's loft for years. Will have to wait to see when I pick it up what state it's in and whether it works s-l400 (7).jpg s-l400 (5).jpg s-l400 (4).jpg s-l400 (3).jpg Turntable spins at right speed and strobe light works. Fingers crossed. I've seen a mint TECHNICS SU-8080 + ST-8080 for £250. Any thoughts on that vs. my Sony receiver? Thanks

7. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,440
    That's a pretty good buy. It is the Mk1 version which is very different to the Mk2 version. No Quartz lock and the tone arm is not the same as the SL1200/1210 as on the mk2 but still pretty good.

The SU8080 looks pretty well speced and has switches on the front to match cartridge capacitance and voltage (for MC suggests you need a booster transformer). Looks like it comes with a Stanton 500 which is typical on these turntables which is a MM cartridge so should be OK. As a comparison I would say that a stereo amp will perform similar to a surround amp of approx 4-5 times the price just down to the number of components/software licenses etc. that going into the latter.

manual here
    Technics | Hifi Manuals Free: Service Manuals, Owners Manuals, Schematics online for free download

Comment on here with it working with a SL1200
    technics su 8080 amplifier - Vinyl Engine

And here about working with the tuner well
    Technics SU-8080 in the house !! | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Depending on the price looks like a good place to start. Have a look on Ebay sold - looks like the pair go for around the £150 mark if that helps).

8. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,440
    Just seen the price it is up for, £250 may be a bit steep. If that is your budget then I would be looking for something like an Audiolab 8000A (transparent sound) or a Arcam Delta 290 (slightly warmer) (both around £200 on ebay typically and both have matching power amps if tyou want to bi amp later on) and then if you really need a AM/FM tuner then there are many about for around £50 (Rotel RT850 for example) but I would just plug in a phone and use internet radio or better still add a Chromecast Audio and stream to that for £30 (can also stream spotify as well as internet radio).

What speakers are you using, how big is your room and what type of music/sound do you like as this will determine the amp/speakers you can match with the turntable.

9. Stinger69

Stinger69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    image.jpeg The cartridge in the photos that you have put up looks very much like a Shure V15 III. These routinely go for £100 plus on ebay even without a stylus!

Andy

10. Lastboyscoutuk

Lastboyscoutuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These turntables must be like buses - they all come at once. I have literally just picked up a SL-1210 Mk2 for £100 - I just couldn't refuse it. So now I have three turntables. I think I'll post the Sl-1800, which I've yet to pick up, on Ebay and hope I get my money back.

Everything is working on the turntable, but it needs a major clean. Start up speed is very quick and so is stopping. It has a Stanton 500 Gold cartridge. The pics are just after I used some canned air to blow away the cobwebs. What is your advice on cleaning materials to use on it, as I don't want to damage it in anyway? I thought maybe some damp cotton buds just to remove the dust. I'm now going to trawl through the YouTube videos on how to clean and service and will also track down a service manual. Any and all advice is welcome.

20180313_174530.jpg 20180313_174536.jpg 20180313_174542.jpg 20180313_174547.jpg 20180313_174552.jpg 20180313_174555.jpg 20180313_174601.jpg 20180314_100032.jpg

11. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,440
    Bargain of the year! Where did you pick this up from, these go for around the £300 mark on eBay. There is a pot inside that sets the brake, fairly easy adjustment, think you may even be able to get to it from the top.

Have fun!

12. Lastboyscoutuk

Lastboyscoutuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I picked up the SL1800 this morning and it does indeed have the Shure V15 III, but sadly the stylus is broken. As I've now got the 1210 and selling the 1800, any suggestions on what to do about a stylus for it - need to be able to recoup what I spend? I have the Stanton 500 Gold in the 1210 - do I swap and buy a decent stylus? Do I sell the headshell with the cartridge separately and then get a replacement one for the 1800? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

13. Lastboyscoutuk

Lastboyscoutuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just popped up on a local Facebook selling site. From the time me seeing the post I had it in my hands within an hour. Also came with an old cheap amp and very cheap speakers.

I've also picked up a Technics SE-A900SM2 Power Amplifier and matching Technics SU-C800UM2 Control Amplifier for £400.

As well as a Denon TU-1800DAB tuner for £100.

14. Stinger69

Stinger69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I would probably sell the V15 by itself. Even with no stylus you'll get good money for it. Jico make a decent stylus for it, if you wanted to go that route, as the originals are long out of production.

NEW JICO ELLIPTICAL stylus VN35E Japan made for SHURE V15 TYPE III Official | eBay

Andy

15. Lastboyscoutuk

Lastboyscoutuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, the SL1800 is sounding pretty good now with a new Technics headshell and the Stanton 500 MkII Cartridge/Stylus. I do have a couple more questions for you I'm afraid. Is the platter supposed to break after switching off - this one spins for ages? I can't see any adjustment, as in my 1210.

I also picked up a mint condition Goldring 1006 cartridge/stylus. Is this better than the Stanton 500 Gold I have in my 1210?

Thanks in advance for your responses

Screenshot_20180331-185033.jpg

16. Stinger69

Stinger69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Best Answer
    Edit: the SL 1800 mk1 has no brake!

I'm pretty sure the SL 1800 mk2 has an electronic brake. Below is a link to a page from vinyl engine. At the bottom there are links to manuals etc. You have to register in order to read them.

Technics SL-1800 - Manual - Direct-Drive Turntable - Vinyl Engine

As for the Goldring, it's much more of a hifi cartridge than the Stanton which was more of a robust model designed for rougher handling. It can still sound great though. The Goldring should be much better.

Andy

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  17. Lastboyscoutuk

Lastboyscoutuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,

Checked out the instructions and it does look as though is doesn't have any form of braking - " after switched off the turntable platter will rotate for a short-term due to it's inertia".

As for theGoldring. I'm going to put it on my 1210 then. Was considering putting on eBay, as only paid £30, and they seem to go for a song (excuse the pun)

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018