Question Technics SL-1210 Mk2 value?

anlygi

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what price region these are in these days? I've had a pair in storage for over ten years and if I'm honest with myself, I'm clinging onto my youth and I'll probably never use them as they were bought for again!

I'm toying with either selling them as a pair with a Pioneer mixer, or individually, to put towards an Atmos system. I've had people tell me they're worth £300 - £500 each? They were bought new by my mother in 98 I think. Relatively good, unabused condition and working perfectly, though the lids are a bit rough. Difficult to know the true value so don't want to let them go too cheaply or if they're worth more as a pair or individually.

Many thanks.

Technics SL-1200GR Direct Drive Turntable

Technics SL-1210GR Direct Drive Turntable

These are NEW Turntables. Used is hard to determine. Though the turntables are still in demand.

For used, I would check Ebay-UK and Musician Supply Stores. Musician Supply Store sometimes take trade-ins.

I do have a site in the USA that has used turntable, and that might help you get some insight.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/search...true&typeAheadRedirect=true&Ntt=used+technics

Trust me the price on these has dropped dramatically since Technics re-introduced their turntables to the market. It was not uncommon to see these used decks selling for between US$500 and $750, and for a very desirable turntable in mint condition, they could go approaching US$1000.

I would agree that you can probably get £300 to £500 for them depending on the shape they are in.

A lot of factors come into play; so it is hard to really determine the price.

Here are similar NEW turntables at considerably less than the premium typically gotten for Technics.

Stanton ST.150 MK2 Direct Drive Turntable

Pioneer PLX-500 K Turntable (Black)

Pioneer PLX-1000

Audio Technica AT-LP1240USB

A person would either have to really really want a Technics, or the price would have to be very attractive. As you can see these equivalent turntables run from £300 to £600 NEW but typically without a cartridge.

I'm thinking between £250 and £350 would be something of the sweet spot. But likely that is very close to the original purchase price. so you are not really taking much of a loss.

The general rule is HALF the original Selling Price, then adjusted for condition and demand for the product.

Does that help?

Steve/bluewizard

I come from a part of the UK where Technics are still widely used in DJing and see them traded, sold, purchased on a daily basis.

Quite simply Technics are the best for DJing, 1210/1200 Mk2 in particular are still very popular.

The resale value depends on the condition. For a set that need TLC you can probably pick them up for around £500... Av good condition set £600/650 (this is the price point i've usually sold at).

Now if you're lucky enough to have a mint pair you can push £700... and if you have new with boxes, manuals etc then you could, if you're lucky enough to find someone who is looking for a mint pair, pull in around £800.

As soon as you get into the £700 region you're banking on finding someone willing to pay that much, 1210s are bullet proof so paying a little less for a scuffed pair is very reasonable for most people.

In short, you can get a lot, but you'll probably wait a long time for the right buyer to come along so £600/650 is probably the right price for a clean set.

The new GR models haven't really made an impact, too expensive when 1210 MK2 will last foreverr.

Turntables from Pioneer are rubbish also, they look nice but use super OEM parts, cheaply made off the shelf builds. They also have not had any impact on Technics pricing... not many would pick new Pioneers over used Technics unless they wanted a warranty.

People seem to be asking 150 and 500 for the mk2 each depending on condition. I'm not sure if they are actually getting the upper end of that though.

I was recently offered 1k for my pair of SL1210M5G - I didn't take them up on the offer as I still use them.

Cheers guys! Definitely have something to go on. I don't feel like I want to sell them but they haven't spun a record in a decade. Maybe I'll part with one and use the other as I couldn't part with the vinyl.

If you part with one then the cash could go into a refurb of the other and a more hifi oriented cartridge (2m bronze may benefit?).

As above £300-400 seems to be mid ground for a tidy one with a lid and all of the lights etc working. Have a look on the sold items on eBay. Remember if selling through eBay you will need to knock off approx 13% for fees so I would try the classifieds on here first for free.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom