Technics SE-CH570 - speaker advice wanted please!

I have this amp along with the two main speakers that form part of the set.

Manual here: Technics se-ch570 Manuals | ManualsLib

Power output: 35 watts per channel into 6Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 1%

Signal-to-noise ratio: 90dB (line)

Speaker load impedance: 6Ω to 8Ω

I don't know much at all about this stuff so bear with me...

When I plug in headphones the sound quality is noticeably richer and with more depth. This makes me think I could upgrade the speakers and get more from the amp. I've also seen on another forum someone say that the speakers on this set are not getting the most from the amp.

If this is the case, what kind of price point should I be looking for for an amp like this? I guess at a certain point the speaker quality will be above what the amp is worth/can produce.

And in terms of improvement, should I be looking for better frequency range or sensitivity?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
You don’t mention a budget...?

It’s quite the old thing too and it doesn’t have a great power output but the original speakers can certainly be improved upon.

Either of the above will be a big improvement.

Hey

Thanks for replying and for those suggestions.

Budget - I suppose up to a couple of hundred, but like I say I don't know whether that'd just be a waste on an amp with little power. (The amp was a free hand me down from my dad). My uninformed instinct is that I'd be looking at similar to the prices of the amps you've shared.

So do you think second hand is going to be better than something new?

gibbsy

You'll certainly go further with your money by going second hand. Because of the limited output of the amp you need to look at the figures on speakers. Don't worry about amp requirement or whether they are 6 or 8 ohm, it's the sensitivity that is important. The higher that number, expressed in dB the better.

I've not checked in on our classifieds for a while so maybe a good place to start as is evil bay.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
For use with older amps I like the look of the Kef IQ3, 89dB sensitivity, stays above 5 ohms (fairly easy to drive), coaxial driver that provides a big broad sound stage and are not to bright. The IQ30 replaced them and were a slightly better speaker so if you find some of those in your budget they will be better.

If you keep a look out these can be had around £150 or maybe less.

Maybe worth dropping this guys a PM to see if these are still available.

Last edited:
For use with older amps I like the look of the Kef IQ3, 89dB sensitivity, stays above 5 ohms (fairly easy to drive), coaxial driver that provides a big broad sound stage and are not to bright. The IQ30 replaced them and were a slightly better speaker so if you find some of those in your budget they will be better.

If you keep a look out these can be had around £150 or maybe less.

Maybe worth dropping this guys a PM to see if these are still available.

Hey, thanks for this, starting to understand a bit more what I'm looking for now...!

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Basically -

The higher the sensitivity number the louder the speaker for a set volume, each 3dB difference requries double the amp power for the same volume. However, this number is the volume at 1m driven by 1W of power and 89dB (int he case of the IQ3's) is very loud. So the higher this number the easier it is on the amp to produced normal listinging levels. the iQ3 at 89dB/W/m is moderately high for a book shelf (counterintuitively, floor standers are usually more sensitive).

Also, the lower the nominal and minimumimpedance (ohms) the harder it is for the amp to produce the sound, so at 8 ohms nominal and 5ohms minuimum it is an easy load. any minimum load under 4ohms starts to put strain into the amp, especially if the amp is older and has lowish power.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, definitely helpful!

I was also looking at these (could maybe get with a cheaper offer) because the sensitivity and impedance seemed to match the profile you've explained & the monitor bronze series seems well reviewed (and Paul above recommended similar too):

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Headphone listening is always very different to listening to loudspeakers in your room.

You can take your amp and headphones to any room/space plug in the headphones and the sound will be consistent with the last room.

Take your amp and loudspeakers into different rooms and the result will be different every time as you are now listening to the loudspeakers plus lots of reflected sound in the room not just the loudspeakers.

How optimised are your current speakers in terms of placement (stands/cabinet/wall mounted) and how are they set out in relationship to where you tend to sit /stand and listen to music?

How is your room laid out and what furnishings do you have in the room?

Joe

dogfonos

Thanks, definitely helpful!

I was also looking at these (could maybe get with a cheaper offer) because the sensitivity and impedance seemed to match the profile you've explained & the monitor bronze series seems well reviewed (and Paul above recommended similar too):

How old are these Monitor Audio speakers? 15+ years? I'm not well informed when it comes to pre-owned passive speakers but isn't the asking price too steep for such an old budget(ish) speaker (assuming it is 15 years old)? I'd look for the something a bit more recent at about the same price. Maybe the Monitor Audio Bronze BX1 or BX2 at 6 to 11 years old. Also, you may be able to buy a pre-owned pair of fairly recent, and well reviewed, Monitor Audio Bronze 2 for around £200.

How old are these Monitor Audio speakers? 15+ years? I'm not well informed when it comes to pre-owned passive speakers but isn't the asking price too steep for such an old budget(ish) speaker (assuming it is 15 years old)? I'd look for the something a bit more recent at about the same price. Maybe the Monitor Audio Bronze BX1 or BX2 at 6 to 11 years old. Also, you may be able to buy a pre-owned pair of fairly recent, and well reviewed, Monitor Audio Bronze 2 for around £200.

I think they would have been £2-400 new so yeah it does seem a lot. I'll look into those other models, cheers. I've generally been looking at reviews for around that period.

Headphone listening is always very different to listening to loudspeakers in your room.

You can take your amp and headphones to any room/space plug in the headphones and the sound will be consistent with the last room.

Take your amp and loudspeakers into different rooms and the result will be different every time as you are now listening to the loudspeakers plus lots of reflected sound in the room not just the loudspeakers.

How optimised are your current speakers in terms of placement (stands/cabinet/wall mounted) and how are they set out in relationship to where you tend to sit /stand and listen to music?

How is your room laid out and what furnishings do you have in the room?

Joe

Yeah it's a fair point, I probs haven't given much thought to this.

Would say space is about 25m2 - open plan living room and kitchen. My speakers are on the tv sideboard, facing into the length of the room and around 30cm from the wall. I put them on little stalls.

Actually what I was planning on doing if I got new speakers was connecting these ones up to another old amp I have for my bedroom, just so I have an ok-ish music source there.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
An open plan space is always going to be very different to listening via headphones and I guess at times you are listening seated relatively close to the loudspeakers and at others standing up and a distance from the loudspeakers.

I would be wary of your expectations where you are swapping out the loudspeakers on a budget for something which is likely 'better' with decent amplification in a more enclosed room but not going to be that different sounding to what you have now with the current amplification, room/room placement.

I suspect you need to up the budget and consider a 'new' (second hand is still a great option) amplifier plus loudspeakers, floor standing speakers should give you a bit more low frequency than the current small box's if you can accommodate them.

Joe

PS What is the 'old amp' in the bedroom?

Ok thanks that’s interesting. You’re right that I’ll be alternating between sitting and standing.
In terms of difference v headphones and expectations, I suppose I’d say it’s less about the volume I’m getting (I live in a block of flats so can’t be too loud anyway!) It’s more that music sounds flatter with the speakers, whereas on the headphones it’s like there’s more depth and you can pick out the treble, bass etc more easily. It sounds richer. The speakers are ok, but they dont sound as rich. I’m not sure whether that’d be the room and positioning instead.

I think overall you’re right that upgrading amp and speakers on a bigger budget is a better longterm option, just hoping I could at least get more from the amp for now as financially probs a way off that!

Will look up old amp details when I’m home. Got it for a few hundred from richer sounds probably around 12 years ago!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom