Technics SE-A800S Power Amp Buzzing on Standby

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ollieeeee, May 14, 2018.

1. ollieeeee

ollieeeee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I recently obtained a Technics SE-A800S power amp & SU-C800U combo. It works ok, but when I click standby on the power amp it starts this nasty buzzing sound which really doesn't sound healthy. I have put a link to a video of the problem that I recorded.

[youtube]qmaAPHDCT[/youtube]

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you.

2. ollieeeee

ollieeeee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +760
    At what volume level ??? . If it occurs when there is no load at all then it is the power supply trafo free cyclng and while irritating, is not serious . The problem typically is that the windings on the trafo are not rigidly embedded and they vibrate the principle is called magneto -striction. If it is very irritating, you can open the lid and listen to find the coil. Then a bit of silicone rubber sealant should dampen it a lot..
    Another possibility is a loose metal plate adjacent to the trafo and caused to vibrate, again a blob of silicon will sort it out.

Last edited: May 19, 2018