Technics Se-a1010 banana connections

Mick The Greek

Novice Member
Reaction score
I’m after some advice,
At present I have 3 x technics Se-a1010 amplifiers which I have tri-wired to my linn majik speakers.

I have banana plugs at both ends of the cables. In order to connect them into the amplifier I had to remove a small plastic tab from the amplifier terminal so the plug can go in. I’ve had it like this for 3-4 years and never had any issues but was advised recently that I should not do this as the plug would only be connecting at the tip.

is this correct and could this cause or have caused any damage.

if this is correct what’s the best way to connect the plugs?

MTG

Removing the plastic plug from the binding post fixing is the only way to connect the banana plug. It's perfectly safe. The fact that you've had no problems for the time they have been used just confirms it's fine. All amp binding posts have these plugs fitted and must be removed.

Removing the plastic plug from the binding post fixing is the only way to connect the banana plug. It's perfectly safe. The fact that you've had no problems for the time they have been used just confirms it's fine. All amp binding posts have these plugs fitted and must be removed.
Thankyou. That’s what I thought maybe people just scaremongering. I was told this

be aware- that is just a tip toe contact .......you put the banana into a a thread plug gauge

your banana is just slightly touching the center screw head - making an unsecured electric connection

There are several ways to mating a speaker wire to a binding post. The first, possibly the best, is by bare wire, the second being banana plugs and the third spade contacts. Banana plugs fit snugly into the aperture when the plastic plug is removed and makes for a good contact. Spade connectors are placed under the binding post screw which is tightened down onto it for making a contact.

Banana plugs are by far the most convenient method of connecting wire to either the amp or the speakers themselves. Unlike the other two methods will be more unlikely to work loose and give a poor connection.

Thankyou. That’s what I thought maybe people just scaremongering. I was told this

be aware- that is just a tip toe contact .......you put the banana into a a thread plug gauge

your banana is just slightly touching the center screw head - making an unsecured electric connectio

The entire plug is the element that makes contact on a banana plug and not just the tip. The tip doesn't even need to make contact with anythung in order for the signal to be conveyed. The entire length of the banana plug makes contact with the inside of the hollowed out binding post.

The issue with using banana plugs is the same as would be the case if using any other type of intermediated plug or termination. You are adding something between the wire and the terminal so will in theory be adding something that could and is deteriating the conveyance of the electrical signal between said wire and those terminals. For this reason, purests would suggest using bare wire directly to the terminals as opposed to using plugs.

The benefits associated with using plugs is their convenience as opposed to them making for cleaner or more effecient conveyance of a signal.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom