Technics announces new Reference Class turntable and turntable system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mark Hodgkinson, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,450
    2. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +590
    3. Nat64

Nat64

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +78
      More stuff from Technics deluded price dept no doubt. It will be interesting to find out the price. I don't know what their plan is, but most of their stuff is so stupidly priced its kind of pointless. Who can afford it ? £11,999 for the SE-R1 amp and you still need to spend more to buy a pre/amp so you can control it.
      To be honest the Yamaha A-S2100 sounds just as good and if you have cash to spare then the Yamaha A-S3000 is the one and save yourself £8k .
      I was a big Technics fan , still have all of my Hifi dating from the late 80's early 90's and its all Technics except the speakers. I won't be replacing it with new Technics. I'm priced out for a start . I did look at the SU-C700 , but it leaves a lot to be desired, looks ugly and only has 2 analogue inputs , so doesn't meet my needs.
      I was pleased to hear Technics were back, but clearly in the interim they have lost their way , in my humble opinion.

4. droidlike

droidlike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +127

save 11k and get the a-s1100
      go to hifiengine
      register there
      and download for free the service manuasl of all 3 amps, 3000/2100/1100
      and see for ypourself that 1100 is exactly the same
      component by component and value by value(exept for filter capacitors, balanced input, hp-amp)
      of 2100 and 3000

a-s1100 is the yamaha inexpensive replica (read precise clone) of the a-s3000/2100

I got my a-s1100 for 1000 euro, that is £900 ;)

what you save with the a-s1100
      only you know where to spend the money left, eventually ah ah ah

5. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +590
      I must admit I have to wonder how long they will last with their current product and pricing strategy.

Perhaps they are popular in Dubai, though maybe they need a bit more bling for that :)

6. mainaman

mainaman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +209
      Apples and oranges.Somebody may say,buy the Technics Reference Amplifier and save 50 000 from not buying Soulution Monoblocks.

In regards to the Yamaha amps,i strongly doubt that the 1100 or even the 2100 are offering the same sound quality as the 3000.The service manual may show the same basic design,but this doesn't guarantee the same performance.For example the Devialet 400 is just two Devialet 200s and the Ncore1200 is just Ncore400 with more power,yet the bigger version does sound better across the board.

The SP-10 has never been cheap and Technics are selling entry level high-end too,a product line of components,which retail for less than the price of an entry level OLED TV.

The new one is 10 000 dollars or 20 000 with a plinth and tonearm.That's very expensive,but no more than the latest Klimax spec LP12 for example.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    7. droidlike

droidlike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +127
      Yamaha A-S1100 or A-S3000
      The 3000 has XLR - apart from that you would be hard pressed to hear the difference in SQ. If you're not using XLR then get the 1100 and save the cash. A friend lugged his 3000 over to my place and we compared the two amps using RCA interconnects - we couldn't tell the difference.
      ;)

8. Nat64

Nat64

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +78
      You all make very good points. I still have to say though , Dubai aside I struggle to see that there is much of a market in the 10-20 k per component price range. There again I may be wrong.
      Even if I won the lottery aside from the Kef Reference 5 speakers , I would struggle to spend anywhere near that kind of money for a system. I certainly doubt I would be able to hear the difference.
      As for the difference between the A-S1100 / 2100 / 3000 , I haven't heard them and I am still struggling to find a dealer that has any on demo, so I have to rely on the word of those that have. I do love the bigger VU meters of the 3000. Wish they were as big on the 1100/2100, but then that' just my needle fetish coming through. I have no idea what filter capacitors do , let alone if they would make a difference to the sound, but I accept your greater knowledge.
      How good are these Yamaha amps. ?

9. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +590
      Poor technics - their big announcement and all anyone has to say about it is Yamaha amps and how screwed us ex-DJs feel with the new pricing strategy (I'm one of them who doesn't really see much justification for the huge extra cost of GR decks vs the technics decks that I have) ;)

I have also really been struggling to find anywhere that will demo one of these Yamaha amps (1100 or 2100) as well.

10. Nat64

Nat64

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +78
      I think they misjudged the market . There was huge support and public demand for them to bring back their turntables. However Technics seriously miss priced it. You cant go from around £500 to £3000. Also making it a 2 tier market puts people off. I want your best product at you best price. If I buy the 1200 GR ( Currently £1099 from £1299 )I will always feel I bought the lesser model, but there is NO WAY we are buying the 1200 G at £3000 which is nearly 3 times the price.
      If you bear in mind you can get the very competent Audio Technica ATLP120 at £250 and also the allegedly for professionals Pioneer PLX1000 for £600 , then the lesser Technics GR looks miss priced at £1299 and the G looks way off the mark at £3000 , whatever the quality difference. When you look at the other Technics offerings they are even further off the mark price wise and their market , and I have looked at their products and its mostly digital. Well , I don't want to stream my music, I like records and cd's thank you and am quite happy to remain analogue.
      Thus very obviously I am directed towards Yamaha, as they seem to be one of the few makers out there that cater for me and I am told I am a dying consumer base as most of the world prefers digital now.
      I have looked at it ( digital ) time and time again and its really not for me so I have a limited choice , especially as I don't like naim , arcam or cambridge audio.
      I canot be bothered to buy a Nas drive, hard drives, rip/copy tons of music, sync with tablet, buy streamer , drill holes to extend ethernet cat 6 cable then start fiddling with a tablet that then needs charging .etc etc.
      Power on , load cd , press play. Done.
      Maybe its just me, but analogue has served me well and I havent felt the need to change over the last 35 years and I cant see myself wanting to for the next 35 unless you come up with something utterly brilliant that sounds better and is easier / faster to use.
      Anyway , I think what i may do is order an AS1100 and an AS2100 online. Under distance selling rules you have minimum 7 days to send items back no explanation needed for a FULL REFUND and in some cases its 30 days. Superfi offer this. Order both , listen / compare , make a decision and send one back . Think that's what i will do. At least that way its in my own setting so will get the best comparison.

11. droidlike

droidlike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +127
      I got my a-s1100 for 1000 euro driving a pair of MA Gold200 in a 15 square meters room.

I got an audio technica at-lp1240 too for about 400 euro and an at440mlb styli 200euro
      connected to the mm-phono input of the a-s1100
      (the schematics is exactly the same of 2100/3000)
      and I've never heard music so well in my life from the sound coming for the vinyl.

I'm comparing it with the sound coming from the pre yamaha wxc-50(optical tv)
      and in multiroom with a cdrom on a yamaha mcr-n670 in the other my room

no way
      the sound from vinyl is in a completely different fantastic world , for my ears.

@Nat64
      how big is your room ?
      what speakers do you have, brand and model ?

this will help define better if the a-s1100 is enought
      or the a-s2100 in really needed with its bigger filter capacitors to help drive big cones

see second picture in this link where a-s2100
      (maybe an a-s3000 but filter capacitors are the same on both)
      is driving monster speakers in a big room
      speakers from b&w(802d3?) I suppose

6moons audioreviews: yamaha A-S2100

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    12. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +80
      Nat, although I have not taken the plunge that is exactly what my local dealer (Peter Tyson) has told me to do i.e. use the distance selling thingy, think he said I had to tell them I did not want to keep something inside 14 days. He did say if I really wanted him to he would demo it for me but would have to get it from Carlisle. His view was demo it yourself in your own home. I have seen the silver version of the A1100 for less than a grand at a place called J G Windows who are based in Newcastle. I am wondering if the prices are going to slip a bit more to be honest.

13. mainaman

mainaman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +209
      The SP10 is twice the price i expected,but to call it and the new 1200 overpriced?It is a statement product and it is actually cheaper than lots of high-end turntables from other brands.This thinking and badge snobbery led to the demise of the Japanese high-end in the 90s.The lesser 1200 is a bargain,compared to the Chinese AT and Pioneer.The G costs the same as Rega's flagship and which one looks overengineered?Both 1200 decks bear only superficial resemblance to the older ones.

14. droidlike

droidlike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +127
      Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    15. Nat64

Nat64

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +78
      @ Droidlike............my room is 4 m x 7 m .

Running Kef R500 speakers.

@ Cornish Dave...........thats a good price from J G Windows. Ith the cheapest I have seen . As for price slip , yes you may be right . However how much more can they come off ? . The A-S2100 has got £450 off atm and the A-S1100 is £500 off. I think its a fair discount.
      I don't want to miss out so will probably deal soon , but want a black one as the rest of my hifi is black, although I prefer the silver out of choice. I would normally be happy to wait or even consider second hand, but I have been looking for 3 months and they just DON'T come up used, which I guess says the sold few or they are that good that people hang on to them . I'm hoping its the latter.

@ Mainaman........I hear you ,and you make fair points. The difficulty is one of affordability / outright price. There can't be too many people paying £3000 for a turn table.
      I agree the Technics products are well made and do last. I have no issue on quality . However what made me question Technics pricing , was my MK6 sounds bloody good to me. It would be interesting to put it alongside a new 1200 G / GR and see if we I can hear the difference for the extra £800 / £2500 they cost.
      The fact they haven't been out long and are already being discounted suggests they are not selling as well as they would like.
      I guess die hard fans ( and I am one ) struggle to justifi the very large upgrade cost especially when we are not sure we are getting more / better sound for the money.
      I have to tell you, whilst my MK6 was being serviced I bought an Audio technica LP120 USB to try so i wouldn't be without music.
      Weight aside , I have to tell you it did exactly what it said on the tin very well and I really couldn't tell the difference in sound quality between them . There is a build quality difference, and its mainly weight , but remember Audio Technica make superb cartridges so they are an experienced company when it comes to sound and I have to say for the £250 I paid you would have to spend considerably more to improve the sound quality.

Regards,
      Nat.

16. droidlike

droidlike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +127
      the 2100 is the good bet, but...if you don't listen at stadium level volume
      then you will not notice any difference from the 2100
      and the 1100 can fit perfectly

the top of the line is the lp1240
      that is
      it has no components on the cartridge wires-out when you use an external phono pre-amp

lp120 has components, little capacitors and coils, on the signal path
      that distort the sound for high freq

but you can remove the internal phono pre-amp on the lp120, see youtube video on how to do that

lp1240 doesn't need removal of internal phono pre-amp

17. Member 769353

Member 769353
      Previously davidf

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +753
      There seems to be a lot of assumptions being made here, particularly by those who haven’t even heard the current equipment.

Back in the 80s, Technics was one of THE brands to have. I remember sitting in maths class and drawing my proposed Technics system in the back of my book using the squares on the pages. At this point, I wasn’t aware of Technics’ history. I wasn’t aware of the SP10 that was adopted for broadcasting, nor the following decks that were eventually adopted by DJs worldwide - Technics didn’t ask for any of that - their domestic hi-fi products earned it.

The late 90s, in my opinion, wasn’t kind to any Japanese brands. A few disappeared. Many went downhill, some making the cheapest products they could, with the resulting lack of build quality and reliability damaging their reputation (again, my opinion). These were brands I grew up with, as in the 80s, British hi-fi wasn’t even on my radar. At this time though, Technics had a considerable range of ‘budget’ separates which were virtually bombproof with regards to reliability. Their CD players would play virtually any disc too, regardless of how damaged it was, unlike most other players.

The demand at this time for the 1200/1210 was crazy, and it really surprised me when Technics eventually decided to cease making them - I thought they’d never disappear.

If we forward to Technics’ “comeback”, I never heard any of the expensive products they decided to come back with, but in the back of my mind, my thoughts were similar to some of those here. But then I heard the SB-C700 speakers at the Bristol Show back around 2015 I think it was. I’d never gotten on with Japanese speakers in the past, and despite not knowing the characteristics of the hotel room, the accompanying Technics system, or the music that was being played, I could hear something I really liked in them. I think dual concentric designs can take time to appreciate, and I think being used to KEF’s UniQ has conditioned me to ‘understand’ them.

Since starting the little audio company, I’ve been pretty picky about the manufacturers I’ve taken on. Recently, I’ve had a chance to spend more time with the SB-C700 speakers, as well as the SU-G30 amplifier and SL1200G (with Audio Technica AT-33Sa cartridge). I was impressed with what I heard so decided to take the brand on. Despite needing a little space to sound their best, the speakers sound fantastic. The SU-G30 has some relevant and unique technology that really works, and the fact that it can stream locally stored music as well as Spotify and TIDAL (full MQA decoding) via a completely stable, intuitive app is the icing on the cake.

With regards to turntables, the SL1200 Mk5 was around in the mid 2000s before several chunky price hikes from virtually every manufacturer under the sun over the following 5-10 years. Add to that that the 1200 was always underpriced for what was on offer anyway, and should’ve been nearer to £800 than the rrp Of around £500 that it was. The fact that retailers were selling them for £350 doesn’t really help the opinions on price - this isn’t the price we should be comparing the current ones to. Add to this that numerous aspects of the G and GR decks have been improved over the Mk5 (they’re not just carbon copies), of which there is plenty of info on Technics’ website for all to see - just click on he relevant model.

Grand Class Direct Drive Turntable System SL-1200 Hi-Fi Audio | Technics UK

From my hands on experience over the past few weeks, the SL1200G is as good as ANY deck I’ve heard at its price point, not only from a sound quality point of view, but also with regards to the lack of background noise, and how well it deals with crackles and pops (they’re quieter on better decks). There are decks at this price point that can only dream of achieving the SL1200G’s specifications. Plus, Technics decks makes it easy to swap cartridges over with detachable headshells. That’s a standard feature that you don’t have to pay more for, which you do with some manufacturer’s arms.

The SL design spawned numerous copies from many manufacturers trying to cash in on what Technics ahspd achieved, and despite some of them being good, none were ever the same. Anyone with hands on experience will know this. Online opinions might say otherwise, but then, those opinions will have been swayed by the low price points of these products - anything sounds great when someone gets it for a good price.

The SP10R is a modern replacement for a deck that was produced in 1970, a first of its kind that influenced many decks that followed. It has been brought bang up to date with modern manufacturing techniques, materials, and with the added benefit that nowadays we can measure many things that we had no idea existed back then. The SP10R and SL1000R are supreme examples of what modern engineering is capable of - and we all know that engineering nowadays costs. The specs will show this, as will the sound quality. I guess Technics will show these at the Bristol Show, so anyone curious will at least be able to see them, and hopefully hear them too (although I personally wouldn’t let anyone hear them at Bristol, as it’s just not the right environment for high end audio to justify itself). Maybe I can arrange something with Technics to show them off at a suitable venue in Birmingham at some point.

Anyway, all the info anyone needs to know is there for people who want to look - and I’m guessing those people are going to take the opinions of those who haven’t heard or even physically seen any of these products with a pinch of salt.

Regards
      David

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    18. Stinger69

Stinger69

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +198
      What a refreshingly well informed view of the Technics decks! I was selling Technics back in the 80s, and as you say despite numerous online opinions, none of the modern SL1200 copies can match the sheer quality and consistency of the original, as a hifi deck IMO.

Andy

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    19. Nat64

Nat64

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +78
      @ David @ TLAC..........

Thank you for the summary on the Technics 1200 G .
      I am familiar with Technics, I have a 1210 MK6 and SE-A/SU-C 900S
      SL-MC400 , SL-P2000. They are reliable and well built and I agree with your view that the early 90's saw the decline of Japanese Hifi and to be fail HiFi in general.
      I think people don't mean offence/to deride the current offerings from Technics. At the time when i bought my Hifi , it was the best available if you like. The 1210 was £600 , the 2000 was £1200 and the amp/pre amp was £549. Total , £2500.
      Its a testament to Technics quality and the crap produced since then that I still have it and havent changed it . It all still works 100% perfectly.
      However......I was thinking of upgrading , but only if I could hear a diffference. I think TLAC is a bit unique, as most places don't have demo equipment / want to do it. I totally understand it. Most people come , listen , take your time then go home and buy it online as its £5 cheaper. No one wants to pay for service.
      So it is difficult do find and listen to new equipment , especially when dealers push you towards stuff that they make the most margins on , instead of listening to what I want.
      So this is my issue. I would love to listen to the 1200G with the AT33SA to see how it sounds. Id like to hear it with a DL110 too .I want to listen to a Yamaha A-S2100 and a Yamaha CD-S2100 . I would also like to see/hear a Yamaha NP-S303 . Why do i want to go see/feel/listen ?
      Well that lot comes to £3000+£680+£1649+£1400+£325 = £7054
      Thats a big jump from the £2500 I originally spent. I don't know about anyone else but thats a lot of money for me.
      On top of that , Technics has priced me out . I would love to replace my technics with an amp that has the same look . At £12,000 the SE-R1 may as well be £1 mio.

Thats really my point. Technics may well be back, but with limited products at a very high price. So , its only natural people are going to ask what the scoop is and is it worth paying for.
      Thats why I am interested in the Yamaha A-S2100/3000. Yamaha have huge pockets and their economies of scale are better so their end product is cheaper.

Given the lack of demo/information and potentially biased information out there, thats why we chat/discuss on here / other forums as sometimes its the only way.
      A good example is What HiFi. Slated the Yamaha A-S2100. Yet every other review I have read says its stellar. So who do I believe.?
      I don't want Naim/arcam/cyrus/moon.....they all look boring/dire to me and either don't have enough inputs or don't have tone controls which I want. Its just personal . I have little interest in digital streaming.
      Thus there is little out there for the likes of me. Yamaha, or if i could afford it , Luxman , but little else.

On another front just look at the price of second hand Technics 1200/1210's. People wanting £12,000 for a LTD / Gold and many are £1500 upwards.
      I agree with you , I can't see any of the old technics tt's being better than either of the new ones , but there is clearly a market out there.

I do find it interesting that no one has done a you tube video comparing the new 1200 GR and R against the old 1200's.

I am aware that there were many copies of the 1200 and , I personally listened to the AT120USB and for what it cost and using the same headshell off my 1210MK6 , ( and yes its great that you can just change head shell in a jiffy ) in the same room , connected to the same equipment there was no perceptible sound difference. However, if you so much as touched the AT or the furniture it was on you could hear the vibrations/ feedback . Yes there was a huge build quality difference , but we have to concede that the Technics were last made a long time ago and AT have the advantage of today's technology and the price difference was large between them .

I guess we are both a dying breed. I like to see/touch/feel/hear things that I buy , especially at big price points. Most people today seem to care less , they are just price focused. They are also " connected " and as you say , many people can express opinions on many social mediums which people just believe because they are there. You clearly are in part the same as me , not wanting to sell crap, only wanting to stock quality items that you have personally tried , tested and believe in . I agree with that ethos , thats why I stick with Kef and bought R500's.

Anyway, its always good to talk and get the view from someone who deals in the things we want to find out about .
      I am a long way from Birmingham . Should I ever find myself there, I will come darken your doorstep .

Regards,

20. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +80
      Nat, J G Windows only have silver so bit the bullet this morning and ordered A1100 from Peter Tyson, like you everything else is black! I understand that PT will have them in stock in the next few days. Windows do not have a Hi Fi shop either and PT have one locally so easy to pop in if I have a problem. They also provide a five year guarantee not sure what the norm is. This and the Streamer will cost me £1450 and the wife thinks I have lost the plot, at over £7000 I would be dead! If I am up and running before you take the plunge I will tell you how I rate the A1100 should at least give you a guide to the 2100 and I can also comment on the Streamer which on the face of it seems a bargain. I can do without coloured screens telling what I am playing, that must add a cost to many I guess.

21. Nat64

Nat64

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +78
      Thank you . I hope they meet expectations.
      I doubt I will be able to hide large boxes from arriving at home but i will be very economical with the truth if challenged. I will be upgrading over the coming months. CanT to all of it at once.
      Of course I also intend to sell my current holdings which will help as they are all in perfect condition and there is always someone on a tighter budget.
      Keep me posted please.

22. Member 769353

Member 769353
      Previously davidf

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +753
      It is getting trickier nowadays to hear something that isn't "mainstream". You can walk into virtually any hi-fi shop and see mostly the same thing on show or demo - many are scared to look at anything different because it doesn't appear in WHF. I personally want to be different to everyone else, so that when people visit, it feels like a genuinely new experience, rather than feeling like de ja vu. I'm happy to take on the best of the brands that those sorts of stores won't touch, as in many cases they're actually better! It usually means less profit for me (which isn't good when you're starting out!), but you can't be something you're not - what I mean by that is I couldn't work in the same way as many high street stores - I can't convince someone a product is right for them when it's not. If you don't lie, you can never get caught out or contradict yourself.

As for people 'trying before buying' then buying elsewhere online, there's only so many times they can do that to the same retailer :)

I'm guessing that's why we're not seeing budget stuff from Technics like we did in the 90s. I don't think it'd work for them, as the £200-400 per box market now is dominated by 5 star products and little else. There's too much stuff trying to get the buyer's attention, although due to the hi-fi press and many dealers, much of that is focused on a small number of brands - no one else gets a look in. Technics have come back refreshed, revitalised, but with the original perspective they had back in the 60s when they started, seemingly magnified. They're very serious about what they're currently doing, and hopefully those who audition the products will pick up on that and appreciate it.

WHF have slated a number of products that I disagree with (I own one of them!), and yet they really like stuff I feel are only worth 3 stars at best. They're opinions at the end of the day, just like mine and yours. Problem is, I feel a 5 star system isn't wide enough fo the variables. I don't feel the Yamaha's quite earn 4 out of 5 stars, but they're certainly not a three star product either. I find them a little soft and warm in the bass compared to the best, but as with all amplifiers, they'll suit certain speakers really well.

The prices of the old ones did go a bit crazy on the used market. I wanted to pick one up for the missus to use, but they were just too expensive, and the cheap ones had been hammered by DJs - more than likely still worked fine, but looked like they'd survived a plane crash.

I'd do one, but I don't have an old one.

I don't really want to take on anything I wouldn't buy myself, whether that is in relation to sound quality, build quality, or reliability (or indeed all).

More than welcome :)

23. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +590
      If you are looking for a similarly priced integrated amp (A-S1100/A-S2100 range) with the similar level of AV system integration (HT bypass, trigger on + AV input auto select), similar output power etc - what else is there?

It seems to me that Yamaha appear to have hit a sweet spot for people looking for this kind of dual use amp - very easy to integrate with AV system with sensibly designed behavior, enough power for that use and yet also a decent enough phono stage/pre-amp/amp in its own right.

These are the reasons that for me its sits firmly at the top of my amps for consideration for when I get around to looking properly in a couple of months.

If it wasn't for the AV integration aspect, then there are loads of other options well worth looking at that may indeed be better for pure sound with whatever speaker someone might have/intended to get.

24. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +80
      Just had a look at your web page David, very interesting. Lots of stuff on there I have never heard of and some I have of course. Like Nat I live many miles away from Birmingham but good luck with your venture! I know the days are long gone but I remember being able to walk into a hi fi dealer and listen to a Denon amp and cd player total cost £400, they cannot afford to do that anymore post internet I guess. I even remember my first real hi fi, a Toshiba Record Deck, Trio Amplifier and Wharfedale speakers total cost about £350, but that was in 1977!

25. Nat64

Nat64

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +78
      Thank you for the very comprehensive reply . I will second Dave's comments, very good luck with your new business venture, I wish you every success. I am sure you will because you are absolutely right........walk into any HiFi shop these days and they all stock virtually the same thing .
      Now I can't promise, but on occasion I do find myself in Brum. Should I have cause to come up again, and you happen to have time on your hands , I'll bring my Technics MK6 up and you can make a video for your site or You Tube of a comparison of the best of the past/present . I havent seen one and if nothing else it may help get your name out there.
      Regards,
      Nat.

26. Member 769353

Member 769353
      Previously davidf

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +753
      £420 for matching amplifier and CD player from Tangent. Granted, not a well known name in the U.K., but the amp is 60wpc, has two pairs of speaker outputs, switchable MM and MC phono input, headphone socket, stereo subwoofer out (with high pass filter set at 80Hz), bass and treble controls, loudness control, and remote control for £250.

the little audio company / hi-fi in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter

My first system was a used Denon PMA-510 (from the late 70s at a guess) which I picked up from a place across the road from my school. Then got a JVC L-A110 turntable from Richer Sounds and a pair of cheapo Solavox speakers from Comet. All cost about £250 I think. This was around 1983. I’ve been poor ever since :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    27. Member 769353

Member 769353
      Previously davidf

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +753
      I’ve still yet to dabble with videos. It is something I’ve been meaning to do, but haven’t got round to it yet. I need a format where it’s quick and easy, with minimal editing as I won’t have the time to produce anything fancy.

28. Member 769353

Member 769353
      Previously davidf

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +753
      I think the reason there’s not much choice is that very few people are interested in integrating a hi-fi amp into an AV system. That’s not to say people don’t do it, just not very many in the grand scheme of things.

29. Stinger69

Stinger69

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +198
      My first system was a Trio KD1033 turntable with a home made 5 watts per channel amp and a pair of Solavox TK 12 speakers from Comet. They didn't have the Wharfedale Chevins that I really wanted in stock, but the Solavox's weren't bad at all!

Andy

30. Member 769353

Member 769353
      Previously davidf

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +753
      Judging by pics on the internet, my mates dad had the TB80, and they sounded impressive on his system. I couldn’t afford the three-way ones, so had to go with the cheaper two-way model at about £70.