Technics A900MK2 + Yamaha DSP-AX620

BuBBa_FaT_aSS

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I’ve got a bit of a dilemma here, due to space I want to either sell my Techincs A900MK2 and Yamaha DSP-AX620 for the new Yamaha 2500, this means I can then sell my MS-902s which the A900MK2 powers and the Eltax Liberty 5’s that the Yamaha powers, I will be replacing them with one set of main speakers the new MS-906s.

But what I am wondering is it possible to use the A900MK2 as power amp plugged into the Yamaha AX620?...I listen to films and music 50/50 so want good sound from my CD collection with good sound form movies which the Yamaha does well with films but doesn’t sound so good for music. If this is possible how would I go about hooking these two up?

Or is it just easier to get rid of the techincs and the Yamaha 620 and invest in the new Yamaha 2500 + MS 906s.

Would be really grateful for any info

Thanx

BuBBa

If the Yamaha AX620 has Pre Outputs on the rear panel then you can effectively use it as a processor and send the 'main outs' to your A900 for much better stereo amplification.

I use the Yamaha DSPE800 which is made specifically for this purpose. It doesnt actually have outputs for main stereo (L+R) as its designed to be used with a seperate 2 channel (stereo) amplifier. This is the best solution if your stereo music is sounding a bit flat and lifeless - which is how most (if not all) AV amps sound in 2 channel mode in my experience.

If your AX620 doesn't have Pre Outputs for the main stereo pair (though from memory i think it probably does) then you could sell it and track down the DSPE800.

AV amps are never as 'musical' as a good HIFi stereo amp so i dont think the Yamaha 2500 would be much of an improvement for music - even though it is a very good unit.

Hi thanks for your reply Media_Man I did what you suggesterd and works a treat thanks for your help, but now I have just purchased a new Yamaha 1500 AV amp. If I connect the yammy 1500 the same way will I lose the 170 watt per channel the 1500 produces going through my Technics for the front speakers when watching films? Just wondering if the new yamaha will lose the quality for the main speakers going through a older less powerful amp, I think the technics is 90watt.

thanks for any help in this grey area for me.

BuBBa

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom