Technicolor bring HDR delivery one step closer

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by hodg100, Jun 30, 2015.

Tags:

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,467
    2. Hillskill

Hillskill
      Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,652
      Hope its better then their Routers!

3. vism

vism

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,188
      Mmmm, interesting.

I wonder how much processing is required at the decoding side to dig out SDR from the transmission?

4. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,355
      Have to admit that the momentum really seems to be aimed streaming UHD and HDR content with Amazon now streaming HDR and Netflix soon to follow.

I always expected UHD BD to be a niche market, I have to wonder though if it will be DOA on arrival upon release ! More importantly though if manufacturers and studios are 100% behind it as all seem to want us to go streaming only.

I will buy into it but see a short lifespan for the physical disc unless it has a flawless introduction and accessible price point.

5. xar

xar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,037
      Good lord I hope not!!! Streaming only would be awful. The video quality of HD is noticeably lower than Blu ray, no HD audio or Atmos etc. Netflix and Amazon prime are fine as backup viewing choices, but not primary options. Long live physical media! Turntables and vinyl might be niche but they are still going strong and getting stronger. So long as I can get the big movie releases on blu ray HD and use streaming as a backup I will be fine. If they force me to pay the same price for a streaming option as I would for a HD blu ray, with no extras, no HD audio, where I also have to pay for a decent broadband service to get it and/or pay to store it locally to keep it, they can bog right off....

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    6. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,355
      We on AV forums are not the ones who decide or influence the mass market though. TBH blu Ray is still a niche market and contracting as is DVD but even that sells in greater numbers than BD. So what will joe blogs make of UHD BD when he can get a 4K HDR picture from a source he already pays into if he has a 4K tv.

For us it's the pinnicle best picture source but will never be more than a niche market. Because of that I don't see it lasting long, because of that I expect it will be the last hurrah for pysical based media.

First and foremost it's going to be the last to the party, never a good starting point. Second it will not be cheap I expect considering the price of 4k TVs that might be able to play it ATM.

Streaming is considered cheap by the many because it's a spread out cost pay monthly for PPV and broadband. You stick a £500 basic player in front of them with a £20 to £25 disc a pop....oops new amp and some Atmos Speakers. As much as I want it and want it to flourish it's behind the 8 ball ATM and I suspect snookered.

7. geogan

geogan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +612
      I think though, if it does happen that most people only ever see 4K from highly compressed streamed sources and then one day someone shows them some real 4K video output direct from a camera file (at 10 to 20 times the bitrate), they will be shocked and appalled that they are being so ripped off and hoodwinked into thinking they are getting proper 4K for their premium download purchase price.

Maybe it's good to let them lower their expectations for a few years and then wow them with the real thing later on.

But isn't this what the A/V (more the A actually) industry seems to always do - have a very good quality source - sell for a few years, then take it away for a lot worse quality source, sell that for a few years, then quietly introduce the original high quality source again as a "better quality" alternative with a different name to the sh*t they were shovelling for a few years and then re-sell higher quality again
      eg. Uncompressed Compact Disc audio -> Highly compressed MP3/Atrac audio / streaming -> Uncompressed FLAC -> Compressed "High Bitrate" Audio

I mean for example have you seen Sony's latest high-res portable music file player NW-ZX2 Walkman - it costs $1200 !

8. xar

xar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,037
      I totally agree with the above, however, I also accept the reality that 4k streaming will probably be the primary source for a while (albeit I need to figure out how I actually get streamed 4k context to my projector as it only works via TV specific apps at the moment. Awaiting the first '4k set top box' or whatever with anticipation). On that basis I spent the weekend running a dedicated Ethernet cable from my router to the garage to replace my crappy power line adapter, so that I can get maximum speed! I should have been in the scouts rather than the boys brigade....

9. dazm41

dazm41

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +463
      unfortunately the kids of this generation my kids included have been bottle fed low quality since the advent of the mp3 player and youtube,[not buy be the way] they are quite happy to listen and watch substandard music/movies ,and the convenience it brings im quite happy buying blu-ray disks and 4k disks when they come out young couples 20's are more than happy to sit down front of the tv and stream to there heart's content and not think anything about the quality of the thing there watching. i would be surprised in ten years we can buy a physical disk blu-ray or 4k 5k or what ever k comes out next hopefully in the uk our broadband speeds have improved greatly and we truly get decent bit-rates from netflix and the like here's hoping

10. Michael

Michael

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +188
      This is really promising.

For HDR to really start off, having a format that is legacy compatible is a big plus.
      It means that everyone can crack on with HEVC encoding kit, and add the HDR encoders when they're ready/there is content.

11. MikeTVMikeTV

MikeTVMikeTV

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +737
      To be fair to streaming sites though, house of cards 1080p stream looks very very close to the blurays I borrowed, maybe a tiny bit more detail in the background, but close ups of clothes and skin is the same, even light reflections look the same, that's viewed from a distance of 9ft to 10ft on a 46" f7000.

The 4k stream, viewed on a 55" Sony x8505b is better than the upscale of the bluray in my opinion, more detail is easily noticeable on objects like a lamp or even the floor.

Plus its called enthusiast for a reason, there aren't that many people buying the high end kit.

And then you can get into the argument of pixels vs viewing distance etc.

Most people spend £500 on a TV that lasts them about 6/7 years.

12. xar

xar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,037
      That's the key point. My issue is I am watching it on a 100 inch screen, so the differences are much more pronounced, but to be fair I am mostly interested in movies. Would prob watch box sets on the telly, but then it's only 42" so not sure I am convinced I need a 4k set at that size until they are all that's for sale...

13. Michael

Michael

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +188
      I think that the big driver will be HDR and rec2020. 4k is a big plus on a larger screen, but a greater dynamic range and larger colour gamut will be far more noticeable. Once content starts being produced, that is.

I remember hearing that film stock has a range greater than current HD, so possibly some remasters could be part of it. :)