1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical Question - Line Out.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by M.Joshi, Nov 19, 2001.

1. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Most new hi-fi systems these days do not have a line output anymore. The headphones output is not suitable as it is a different impedance / voltage and can potentially damage the line input stage of the equipment it is connected to (If set too high). Also, another inconvenience is that it cuts out the speakers so you cannot monitor the sound.

As the unit is new, I do not want to open it up and modify the circuitry thus invalidating the warranty!

I was thinking that perhaps it may be possible to drop the output voltage on the speaker output and use this as a line output signal. I considered using zener diodes but they would cause clipping and hence distort the sound.

Any ideas on how I could build a circuit to attach on to the speaker outputs?

Thanks.

2. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,836
    You need to reduce the voltage from your speaker outputs which can be done using two resistors as a potental divider. say 1k and 100 ohm.

I believe you can buy a small unit that has the resistors in at a car radio shopt, These are used to connect another power amp to a car radio speaker oulet

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use the tape out (if fitted) as a line level output.
    You didnt say what you wanted to use it for....

4. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The unit does not have a tape out as there is a tape deck built in.

I want to take the line-out to a computer.

I am considering using resistors, but again this would involve setting the volume at a certain level. I do not know what the industry standard is for the line-out level?