1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

technical query regarding plasma televisions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by aylmera, Jul 14, 2004.

1. aylmera

aylmera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I have been told (via the manager at dixons, ...who was trying to push me onto an LCD screen) that a big disadvantage with plasma televisions is that you cannot watch movies on them which display the black borders along the top and bottom of the screen (which sometimes still remain present even on a 16.9 aspect ratio). The reason was that it permanantly marks the black onto the screen. Is this true, or is he exagerating to try and convert me to the lcd screen.

He also indicated that plasma technology would not be around for much longer!!!

Thanks for your time

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and they will need regassing every year ;) ;)

as usuall the sales people are full of poo, yes you need to be carefull for the first say couple of hundread hours. this is when the screen seems to be more vunrable to screen burn.

i have had mine now for 2 years and watch movies with borders/ channels with logos and have pc on it now and then, with no screen burn what so ever.

most channels will have adverts so this is like a screen wipe for the logos, i`m not saying they are perfect and you can`t leave cnn/bloomberg on with the ticker tape at the bottom of screen for days on end .

but it seems its easyier for the sales persons to say this than to actually research the product,

some makes of plasma seem to be better and more resistant to image retention/screen burn.

hope this helps.

as for plasma dying out , there is always something better and newer around the corner.

time to view a few of lcd and plasma and decide your self.

i`m sure there will be some good retailers close to you.

where you based?

3. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    bull me thinks :confused:
    put 'screen burn' into the search bar and search the forums it tells you everything you need to know about 'burn' then type calibration or set up and you will then know how to run in etc
    ive just spent £2.5k and im from yorkshire so it aint going out of fashion yet :clap:

4. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sorry jmack
    i was typing reply when your better version apeared

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    aylmera

I guess 'Dick'sons must have stock rooms piled high with LCD TV's to punt then.

The issue around black bars on some Plasma displays is strangely enough quite opposite to what your 'man at 'Dick'sons tried to explain.

If you were to permanently run black bars top and bottom or left and right on some Plasma Displays for say a thousand hours non stop the next time you went back to a full screen image you would actually see the areas that had been black looked brighter than the rest of the image.

The best of today's screens are far less susceptible to this phenomenon that the early 1998 - 2001 models were and many displays also have timer functions and screen saver modes so that where they are run in commercial applications (where black bars and static text may be a permanent issue) they can be cycled through full screen modes every 24 hours.

In day to day use with a mixture of full screen and letterboxed images you will not have a problem with the best of today's PlasmaTV and Plasma Display's.

Personally I'd shop elsewhere when contemplating this level of expenditure!

Best regards

Joe

6. aylmera

aylmera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replys. They are very appreciated. It seems as if this screen burn is just a factor to be aware of, and not as big a factor as they made out at dixons

Thanks for your help

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13