Technical Measurements - Like at the Home Cinema Choice Website

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by roman-r, Aug 14, 2005.

1. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    When looking at reviews they always go into the technical jargon

If we look below at some data on an old Tosh player I managed to work out that the jitter reading needed to be as low as possible i.e. 2ns is better than 3ns :thumbsup:

But what about all these minus numbers :rolleyes: should they be bigger or smaller when compared to another players readings :confused:

E.g. "Signal-to-noise ratio: -65.8dB (average)" if another player had a reading of -70dB would that be better or worse :rolleyes:

I know I'm sad but clarity on this would really make me feel empowered :clap:

Video jitter: 3ns (very good)

Signal-to-noise ratio: -65.8dB (average)

Chroma AM/PM: -71.5dB/-64.3dB (excellent/average)

Chroma crosstalk: -54.8dB (average)

Frequency response (S-video) at 5.8MHz: -6.70dB (very good)

composite video at 5.8MHz: -6.92dB (very good)

Digital audio deviation: 246.4ps (very good)

2. Calleva

Calleva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If only specs were simple!

Unfortunately there isn't a straight forward, simple explanation that covers all so simply for these specific examples;

Video Jitter, Frequency response (S-Video & Composite) & Audio Deviation - less is best - i.e. the lower the number the better

Signal to noise, Chroma AM/PM and Chroma Crosstalk - bigger is better - the larger the number, even though negative, is best.

Also watch out for ps and ns in jitter measurements - these are pico seconds and nano seconds respectively and 1ps= 0.000000000001 seconds and 1ns = 0.000000001 seconds or 1ns = 1000ps !

Hope this helps a little, fully understanding video and audio measurements isn't a small subject though!

Calleva

3. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Thanks Calleva that makes it much clearer

Jitter was fairly guessable to an un tutored mind but the Chroma really did stump me :D

I find it amazing that there isn't clarification on this on the actual reviews :thumbsdow

Now to check the results on my old Toshiba SD2109 with newer models to see how they perform.

More info to my decision making on if I should upgrade - doubt I will though :D