1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical help needed

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bob1, Aug 9, 2005.

1. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hello does anyone know of a website that might give me help with the problem i'm having with my tv?
    I have allready posted on here but have not had any replies.
    The other thread is here.
    Thanks.

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    This is not a fault I have seen before, prob why you have had no replies.
    Does your TV display A10E on the sticker at the back of the TV near the model number.
    If so then these TVs suffer from problems with the main chip (painter chip) causing many strange problems.
    Search these forums for painter chip.

Nigel

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The tv as A10E on the back ,the tv only does it when its been on a long time ,some days it never happens at all ,infact the tv as been on most of the day and still hasn't done it .
    After a quick search i found THIS site but i'm not convinced its the chip after reading the other threads.

4. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    The painter chip is the main chip in the TV and the usual symtoms is changing channels on its own, or switching off.
    Apart from this fault this particular TV is very reliable, it isnt a symptom I have seen before but the painter chip is a strong posibility.
    TVs are not simple things to repair so live with it or take it for a estimate, you cannot fix it yourself!

Nigel

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Nigel thanks for your help ,i have done a little bit of looking and still have not found anybody else with the same problem.
    It looks like i'm stuck with it for now , what if the chip is replaced does this mean it should be ok after or is there still the chance it will happen again to the new chip.

6. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ho
    Once they have been replaced they dont come back. Get it to a workshop and get their oppion, cost of repair about £150

Nigel

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Can't see me getting it to a workshop ,its a two man lift and a van job.
    The wife tells me its been on all day since 7.30 this morning without a fault,could it be this chip or not ,why doesn't it do it more often?

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hello Nigel , the tv has not shown the fault at all since i started this thread ,could it have been caused by an outside force? :confused:

9. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,882
    No, but a possibility is another IC mounted on the same sub-panel the "Painter" IC is on.
    I have just seen a fault report on a Philips 28PW6816 which uses the same A10E chassis as yours in a trade magazine with the same fault symptoms as yours......"Line Tearing" is the technical term and that is what your pic in your original thread shows.
    The circuit ref no is IC7404 and the IC Type is a TDA9171T.

You have already removed the back (according to your original post) and gave the set a clean-out so what I suggest you do if you're feeling brave and want to nail this is identify the sub-panel containing these IC's.....looking from the rear of the chassis it is a small vertically mounted panel just to the right-hand side of the tuner (the aluminium can with the aerial socket) and it is similar although slightly bigger than a PC memory stick and is retained by the same type of clips.

With a small torch look for this IC which will have TDA9171T printed on it and IC7404 printed on the board alongside it.........(now be very careful here!) with the set running play hot air from a hairdryer on this IC for about a minute (not the hottest setting on the hairdryer) and see if you can bring on the fault.......even better would be for you to get a can of "Freezer Spray" (from Maplins or similar) wth a long nozzle and then if you have succesfully "brought the symptoms on" see if the same symptoms disappear when you play some freezer on the IC.
    This method (heat and cold) is used a lot in the TV repair trade to track down/isolate a particular component suspected in intermittent fault conditions.
    Please be very careful and good luck.
    John.

10. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks John that is most helpful ,the next time i get some spare time or it starts up bad again i will track it down. I have found the info for TDA9171T on the net and it looks big enough to easily replace unlike the Painter ic.

11. Kev the Gerbil

Kev the Gerbil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi if you know how to remove the panel which the painter ic is fitted you can send it to these for them to replace it it will cost you £70+ for the repair
    here their site http://www.mces.co.uk/ic_fitting_service.htm
    good luck :lesson:

12. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks for the help but this thread was from over a year ago,the tv has been sold on now and the problem hasn't been seen since so i doubt it was the painter ic anyway.