Question Technical broadband WiFi query

bubs999

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I switched from Sky fibre broadband to Vodafone fibre in March (due to cost nothing else)

Recently my Vodafone broadband has started to stop working, around 11pm at night most days.
It affects both WiFi and wired access, the speed goes really slow and then stuff just stops working and comes back usually within an hour.

Spoke to Vodafone on the telephone and the guy is adamant it's a WiFi issue.....despite telling him it was wired as well as WiFi.
He got me to split the 5ghz and 2.4ghz WiFi and then change the WiFi channel on both frequencies. Now its been a while since I worked in this area, but I'm still fairly sure that it makes no difference what WiFi settings I have, if my wired connection drops out?

The support call has been placed on hold until Friday for me to "test". Last night, same thing happened at 11pm, but only for a couple of minutes.

I have a Google WiFi mesh system in place, which I thought might be causing a problem, as I'd recently also added a Google Mini and I'd read stories of these interfering. So I removed these devices from the equation and still had the issue (I knew Vodafone would blame 3rd party devices anyway)

Got a message from the Mrs this morning and the internet has stopped working again.

Any tips? Sky worked absolutely fine with this setup and I had that for nearly 3 years.

Edited to add, he also said my router should not be by the TV and I shouldn't use an extension lead from the telephone socket to the router (my BT socket is about 3 metres away from the router and I can't physically have the router there due to is location). He also said I should raise the router, this would mean it sits halfway up my wall and look bloody stupid with all the wires dangling down.

Thanks

Changing the wi-fi settings could conceivably affect the ethernet connection too if it's something like the router being overloaded.

Given everything he's making you try it does sound like he's clueless and just following a generic script for connection issues.

The first thing I'd identify is whether it's the internet connection going down or your home network. When it's down can you still do stuff that doesn't involve the internet, like DLNA streaming between two of your devices?

Does the internet status light on the router turn off during the period of downtime?

Sadly they follow the script which they are given for such issues. He's not wrong about the height issue though, for wireless purposes a router is best placed at the top of the house so the signal propagates downwards. All kinds of objects, in particular metallic types can have an effect on the WiFi signal and yes I have seen issues resolved by simply moving the router to another location. Never seen a TV having an effect on the router or WiFi.

Your issue though must be more fundamental than that, as you say the same issue applies on a wired connection and only at a particular time of night.

1. So when you changed ISP did they come to the premises and do anything to your installation?
2. Are you in a particularly dense connection area?
3. As EndlessWaves has asked, does the broadband LED drop out to red when the broadband stops working?
4. Do you get the same problem when only using a wired connection to the router?
5. You said you had a message from the misses to say it wasn't working again, what time of day was that?
6. Are you on a superfast 1 or superfast 2 service?
7. What router do you have?
8. Do you have any other line sockets in the house?

Sorry for the Q's but it does help in narrowing things down.

Last edited:
Nobody came out, I just received the equipment and swapped out the router.
There aren't that many wireless Id's that show up when I search, so don't think it's dense.
No change in led's, the service just stops working (hasn't happened for a few days now)
Exactly the same issue when only using wired connection, which to me suggests it's not a WiFi issue
When the Mrs messaged, it was around the same time it usually drops out
I don't know whether it's super fast 1 or 2, I'm assuming it's the first one, as I max out at 23mb as that is all the line can handle
Only the one socket in the house and its right by the door, which is why I can't have the equipment right next to the socket

Touch wood, it seems to be OK at the moment

Yes that old socket by the door is a pain, though you could wire in an extension socket elsewhere if you have an easy route to another room. If you need a how to on that just let us know.

Agree it's not a wireless issue. It could just be that they had been working on equipment at the exchange and that produced your intermittent issue.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom