1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical Amp question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stewwy, Nov 8, 2004.

1. stewwy

stewwy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've recently got an AV amp to go with my plasma(PW6) and I have couple of questions.

The amp ( yamaha HTR5550RDS ) does component switching (2 in/ 1 out), as well as S-video ( but does not upconvert) but it only mentions YUV in the manual, the plasma will take either RGB or YUV on its component inputs.

I have sky+ so I can get RGB out from that ( at the moment I'm using S-video) and I can get YUV component(prog scan) from my dvd.

My questions,

Will the amp switch RGB to the output? I assume it will be output as RGB if it does, I can see no reason why it shouldn't it's just a switch after all, or am I missing something?

Would it break anything to just try it? would having 2 different types of input (YUV and RGB ) cause anything to break?

I've no problems trying this It would be one less button to press to change from sky to dvd.

but if anyone knows if it will definately break something I wont!!

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    YUV & RGB are not the same thing & I don't think your amp will convert the signal (just switch YUV) so you will need to add a RGB to YUV converter between Sky+ & the amp.

More expense I'm afraid. The favoured converter here is the JS one

http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=36&osCsid=a533efdbc76ed516f7370382bdfd5569

I've used this & it is very good. Cheaper ones are on offer from companies like Keene , Lektropacks etc

3. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I would think that it will just switch through whichever signal is selected - so if you feed RGB into one of the component inputs on the amp, you get RBG out of the component output when you select than input, and YUV when you select your DVD player. You just need to select the input type on the plasma when you change the selection on the amp. Unless the plasma can autodetect. Can't see why you need a converter.