1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical advice on SKY+ feeds in new flat please

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by cutes6, Apr 26, 2005.

1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I hope some one can help me, I have moved into a new flat which has 2 coaxial feeds coming into it.

I have been talking to an engineer that says that both of these feeds are connected to a switcher in the roof. Now these feeds contain sky, normal tv and dab. One of the feeds goes straight to one of the points in the front room and connect to a 3 way box on the wall with sky,tv and fm connections. The other one goes to a 3 way splitter that goes to the rooms around the flat with similar boxes on the walls.

Now the engineer said that he could connect a device using one or both of the feeds to the the flat that would allow both sky+ inputs through the 1 output in the room with a similar device at the room end which splits back out into 2 feeds for the sky box.

So far so good, only that I have been trying to get hold of the guy since after he failed to turn up to complete the job. I have installed sky myself in various homes so I think I am capable of doing the work so, is the advice I have been getting sound correct and if so what do I need to buy to do it myself.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for looking

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I think he would be talking about a stacker/destacker unit which connects two LNB feeds (at the dish end) send the signals down a single cable and the splits them at the other end.
    It has been said that the system is not ultra reliable.

Having said that most communal type systems are not owned by the flat owner/renter and as such you have no legal right to tamper with the cables or feeds so that has to be cleared up before you even consider adding hardware to the system (apart from simply plugging a STB into the wall socket).

3. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for that Starburst. You are right those were the descriptions he used.

I own the flat and the 2 leads come into a junction box within the flat so I assume that I can get the units you mention and just connect them ?

I guess I will have to buy the units and give it a go - does anyone have any recommendations og where I should get these units from.