1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techie: Room treatments, reflections and Tag room Eq

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by audionutter, Jun 3, 2005.

1. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am wondering about the above, so if anyone has any opinion, just jump straight in.

Now, we all know that the room plays a major role in influencing the sound quality, also the importance of speaker placements and reflections off walls, ceilings, floors and phase distortions/anomalies. There are very many different "thoughts" on this, but what I can see is that there are three main issues, the first is the phase issue, the second is the room reflections (1st and 2nd) issue whilst the last is the room mode issue which the room Eq deals with.

In the Tag AV32R DP, you can overcome two of these issues, namely the phase by time aligning the speakers and the room modes by Eq'ing it. What about the reflections? What I mean by this is if your side and back walls are bare and of hard material, it will reflect/deflect the frequencies that radiate out from the speaker drive units and even cabinets. These then reach your ears at different times to the direct radiation from the drive units to your ear that doesn't bounce off any boundaries. As a result, it messes up your perception of imaging and soundstage.

So can this be overcome by room eq? Or do you need to add absorptive/diffusive material to the walls, ceilings, floors ala room treatment? What do you guys do? For me personally, I use something similar to the "live end dead end" philosophy/theory, so I treat the entire back wall and side walls around the speakers with acoustic foam, whilst the floor gets a carpet and the rest of the side wall is diffused with bookshelves and CD/DVD shelves .

What do you guys think?

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I use Auralex in my room and it makes a real difference to the HF :)

3. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any comments from Graham, Stevesky, John, Udo, roversd1? :lease:

4. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Treatment of the room and its surfaces is required to improve the results above a few hundred Hz. There may be frequency bands that are emphasised or lacking after room treatment, and a little gentle EQ in those regions can be beneficial, but the room itself needs dealing with first. A thick rug is very helpful in countering the floor reflection and strategically placed bookshelves and the like can help with primary reflections from the walls, beyond that acoustic treatments of various kinds become necessary.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yep, having been in a couple of rooms given the Auralex treatment very recently I'd say that with that and TMREQ you should be able to get it just about perfect, I believe that doing a google for Auralex and homing in on a dealer (In Enfield, hint!) he would be pleased to help (HAA certified and Auralex distributor). For some paranoid reason I don't seem able to type their web site address which is a bit silly but obviously a bit of history there so I'll stay out of it....... The material and expertise is first rate though.

7. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the answers so far. I guess what I am already doing is as good as it gets, cos I use something very similar to the Auralex foam, which I place around the speakers and first reflection points on the side walls. All I need now is to wait for my DP to arrive and room eq it!

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Did you use the mirror approach to locate the primary reflection points and the L x H x W to find the nodal frequncies?
    If you are not averse to making the place look a little obsessive orientated, then consider employing tubetraps in the corners to mop up some of the dominant bass frequencies.
    If you do you should notice a good bit of clarity and tightening up of that region.
    Also, whilst some absorption is good, overdoing it does tend to make things less than ideal. I used RPG Skyline diffusors very effectively in a VERY live room, as well as their modex corners. Made a hell of a difference, even if the room was more music studio than truely domestic.
    Still, that's the trade off between this passion of ours.

RPG Europe

9. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pjskel,

Yup, that's what I did for the primary reflection points and room modes calculation. Bass traps/tube traps in corners and also the entire front (or back if you're referring to the speakers perspective) and side walls too. The "live end - dead end" philosophy. Had to draw the line at the ceiling although I did do something to it when the room was being contructed. I didn't think it was enough but got overruled by the WAF. It's also a slanting ceiling so what else could be worse, huh? Hence my need for the DP to counter all the modes which cannot be overcome by room treatments alone.

10. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I've never subscribed to the live end, dead end, but if you're happy with it.....
    I sugested diffusers such as the skyline's, since I used them on the rear wall behind me, rather than on the ceiling.