Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

techie help required

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by MARTIN TURNER, Dec 4, 2003.

1. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i luv being a member of this forum cos it normally means there are lots of helpful people out there to help us novices out. before i go to GAME at lunchtime and buy all the wrong stuff i thoufght i would appeal for some help on here. on friday my bt broadband line arrives along with there wireless modem kit. i have ordered a wireless card for my laptop and my desktop but dont know how to link up my consoles. i want to link my xbox and ps2 (also own a gamecube) to the modem and register both machines on line. is there any way i can use one cable from the modem to the consoles or do i need one for each machine and switch em about.also is there any way the consoles can be added to the modem wirelessly also. any help will undoubtedly save me some cash at lunchtime . cheers.

2. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Not being a console owner I can only make and educated guess at their connection requirements; however I would assume that they would be happy with being connected to a hub / switch to forum a local network connection.
    If you then connect that switch to either a PC acting as a gateway or a broadband router+modem it should fit your requirements.
    My advice is to buy a Broadband router with an inbuilt modem ( I have seen them for approx £40 - £50 ).
    If you can get one with with a built in switch it saves building another switch/hub.

The broadband router will handle the connection and dhcp ( distributing IP addresses and dns info to you boxes ). It also acts somewhat like a hardware firewall, giveing an added layer of security.

If you want wireless, I am not sure about the hardware for wireless connections for consoles, but you can get a wireless broadband router and connect that to a wireless bridge switch - will cost a bit more though.

3. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi, this is not the cheapest option but for me it was the easiest!!
    I bought a Linksys Wireless Router at

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productp...t_id=LNKNA036VU

And a Wireless Bridge to connect to XBox or the Network adapter on the PS2 (downstairs)

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productp...ct_id=LNK776582

And finally this modem which supports USB for my upstairs PC and a ethernet port to connect to the Linksys Wireless router (which sends signal to WET11 bridge downstairs)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...oduct_uid=48448

This setup was simplicity itself no software required for the router or bridge and hey presto it all worked straight out the box !!
    Hope this helps...........
    You wil have to swap leads from Xbox to PS2 when required but no setting up is required on each swap.

Oh and the wireless router also works with the laptop too.

Matt.............

4. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i luv the internet