Tech Rookie looking for advice

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by matd8764, Feb 28, 2013.

1. matd8764

matd8764
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a British university student looking into buying my first soundsystem and whilst researching on the internet I have become more and more confused as to what would be best for me.

First of all I will outline my priorities for the system. Probably 80% of it will be used for music, playing loud music for partying essentially but also for personal listening. I like deep, clear bass that shakes a room when turned up yet mids and highs are also important so I don't want the system to be geared fully towards bass. The other 20% of use will be for films and games although this is secondary to standalone music performance. My budget is slim being a student and £100-£150 is my aim.

I have three options in terms of the system setup, 2.0, 2.1 and 5.1. From what I have read, 2.0 will have the best sound quality in general for the price but would be lacking bass and power whilst 5.1 will be the most powerful but probably worst quality. 2.1 is a compromise in some ways.

Models I have been particularly interested in have been the Klipsch Promedia 2.1, yet this seems impossible to find in the UK for under £200 or without having to pay import taxes and shipping from the USA. I also nearly bought a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 bookshelf speakers yet was apprehensive about the lack of bass they would provide. I have however thought I could use them as standalone speakers for now and save up some more money for a sub in a few months or so. If anyone could inform me how well these speakers stand alone and whether they compare to a 2.1 system in this budget in terms of bass I would be grateful!

Anyway, that is the end of my essay. Thank you to anyone in advance who can give me any guidance for my needs as I have been lost in the internet for too long!

Matt

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    very loud and good quqlity sound dont realy exist at that price level. 5.1 needs more speakers and is very different when listening properley.

3. matd8764

matd8764
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand I'm not going to get anything of great quality, some might say even acceptable quality, but I know there are some worthwhile systems out there and I'm looking to make my money go as far as it can. My budget is not because I'm being tight or stingy, it is literally all the money I can afford without going overdraft! This is why I am looking for advice as I cannot afford to waste any money.

When I mentioned 5.1 setups, I meant package 5.1s as opposed to custom setups. I know surround sound is a bonus of 5.1s but I am not really fussed about it to be honest.

4. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Check richersound clearence list for usually good value. I certainly did not mean to imply anything other than the problem of getting quality and loud sorry. On a good day your budget should get some exellent sounding stuff. If you are prepared to sacrifice quality for loud you could consider the sort of speakers used in pub type discos. loud but fatiguing. And a decent hifi amp. Floor standing speakers are likley to have more base than bookshelf types. The more efficient the speakers that is the higer the db the louder it should be for a given input. Beware you can blow speakers by playing too loud with distorting sound. If it distorts turn it down

5. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,160
    You can still get a pair of Wharfedale Xarus 5000 for about £170. That will blow your budget straight away just on speakers, but they are capable of uncomfortable sound levels and enough bass. I would suggest finding a second hand amp for them, for £70-£100 max you should find something good enough.

6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    If you listen to music, then get a music system, and by that I mean get a stereo. If you go for 5.1, you are spreading your already meager budget across 6 speakers, the sub being very expensive, and across 5 amps as opposed to the two amp channels of a stereo.

If my opinion, low cost 2.1 systems are not that great. You essentially get two very weak Satellite speakers, and a Subwoofer that doesn't really go any lower than a good pair of bookshelf.

Next, remember that all speaker need AMPS. In some cased, like computer speakers, the amp are built into the speakers. In other cases like bookshelf speakers, you need an external AMP.

So, is your budget Speakers ONLY, or is that amp and speakers?

Next, you get what you pay for. With your budget, assuming for amp and speakers, the best you can do is an above average set of computer speakers.

However, despite their very high price, the Audioengine A5+ are exceptional value.

Audioengine 5+ - Audioengineusa.com

Remote control, iPod/MP3 Docking, wireless Apple Airplay capable but extra, powerful amps, decent 5" bass drivers, USB power charger for external devices, and more.

[ame=http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=audioengine+a5%2B&oq=audioengine+a5%2B&gs_l=products-cc.3..0l4.2972.9712.0.10621.15.9.0.6.6.0.128.714.8j1.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.CP0_k2nsctc]audioengine a5+ - Google Search[/ame]

However, you won't like the price.

The more basic Audioengine A5 (no PLUS) is still nice, and at least closer to your working budget. The A5+ replaced the A5, but you might still be able to find a few A5's around somewhere. They were typically closer to £250/pr.

However, if you want separate amp and speaker, then things get dicey. It is really hard to pull off a quality system for less than about £300 -

Superfi - DENON PMA520AE AMPLIFIER

Superfi - TANNOY MERCURY V1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Though there are a few other amps and speakers at a similar price. Both active speakers and component system, but at your budget, the selection is very lean.

You might consider these -

Superfi - ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGO M SUBWOOFER/SATELLITE SPEAKER PACKAGE

But you have to keep your expectations in line with your budget.

Can we assume the source of most of your content is going to be either the computer or an MP3/iPod player?

An alternative type of Active Speaker is the Studio Monitor.

The M-Audio AV40 is acceptable -

Studio Monitors at Studiospares

Make a note on Studio Monitors as to whether they are price PER PAIR or EACH, many are price as EACH.

Try to the extent that it is possible to get at least 5" bass drivers.

Studiospares Seiwin 5A Pair Powered Monitors at Studiospares

The KRK Rokit RP5 are very good listening speakers with nice bass, but at £103 EACH, they are pushing your budget -

KRK Rokit RP5 G2 at Studiospares

[ame=http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=KRK+RP5&oq=KRK+RP5&gs_l=products-cc.12..0l8.2326.2326.0.5071.1.1.0.0.0.0.116.116.0j1.1.0...0.0...1ac.2.vA0WlV7Ddt0]KRK RP5 - Google Search[/ame]

Probably the best Studio Monitors I've heard for a somewhat reasonable price are the Mackie MR5 II. Decent clear bass, crisp detailed mid and highs. But again, pushing your budget. Here is my forum review of them, along with several other Studio Monitors -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1523560-mackie-mr5-active-speaker-mini-review.html

And here is the current price -

[ame=http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Mackie+MR5&oq=Mackie+MR5&gs_l=products-cc.3..0l7.1477.4843.0.5011.10.10.0.0.0.0.131.846.8j2.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.H-5AMXlf6q0]Mackie MR5 - Google Search[/ame]

DV247 has them for £236/pr, Dolphin Music has them for £256 per pair and you will note a few other sites have them for £118 EACH. Impressive speaker though.

That should give you something to think about.

Steve/bluewizard