1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech problem to solve : how to slave my LCD screen to my PC.....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dealmaker, Sep 10, 2003.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here's a tricky one I could use some help with..!

I have a Broadband account with AOL (had my screenname for years and everyone knows my e-mail address - so would prefer not to change)

Now AOL will not supoort home networking - so I can only have one connection.

My main PC is in my office/study - and I'm getting into trouble for popping off every five minutes to check my e-mails (which invariably leads to some surfing etc ) and so I'd like to put a screen in my kitchen from where I can browse and get e-mails etc.

My main PC is always on and always connected and I'll only ever use one screen at a time.

I have a a spare LCD monitor and I'd like to utilise this in the kitchen with a wireless mouse and keyboard for neatness.

What I'd like to do is to have some form of wireless connection (bluetooth/WiFi/Wireless) between the screen/mouse/keyboard in the kitchen and the main PC in the office such that in effect all I'm doing is controlling the main PC remotley and seeing a replication of the main PC screen on the remote monitor

I'd like to avoid using a separate PC if possible - and running a CAT 5 cable between the two locations would not be problematic if needed.

I know this can be done as I have seen someone in the States using a similar system (couldnt get a chance to ask them how they did it unfortunatley)

So can anyone give me any clues/ suggestions????

Many thanks

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tricky one without another PC.

One suggestion is to run a VGA cable from master PC to the 2nd monitor (assuming your graphics card has dual outputs). A wireless mouse/keyboard (USB) with the monitor & you should be good to go.

Just one hotkey to change the PC's output & bingo, total control from a remote location.

Not something I'd do myself TBH but it may work in your situation.

:)

3. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Kramer,

Yeah - thought of that - unfortunatley it's a bit far to run a VGA cable (circa 18 metres cable run) and I'm not sure about the wireless on the main PC as that would mean I'd need to take the Keyboard and mouse with me every time I went into the office.

I guess I'm really looking for some sort of wireless hub which will communicate with hub mounted on the main PC.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya.

18 metres isn't that far :eek:

Cat 5 will take a VGA signal that far with ease. Trust me, I ran VGA to my old projector with Cat 5 & it was probably nearer 20 metres. If your max res is say XGA on the 2nd monitor you'd be fine. Damn site easier run Cat 5 than VGA too ;)

Something like a good wireless keyboard & mouse combo, USB obviously, would allow you to leave everything "as is" at your main PC with just monitor, keyboard & mouse in the kitchen or wherever.

The Gyration Ultra Suite has something like 100' range but ain't cheap :(

I've never came accross a hub that would do what you want, but I live & learn so maybe someone will be along shortly to enlighten me :)

Best of luck anyway.

:smoke:

5. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm pretty sure you can get a reverse KVM switch (one that uses two keyboards/mice to control one machine) that works over Cat5.
    I wanted to do pretty much the same thing using my Mac in the kitchen and a screen in the bedroom but by the time I worked it all out is wasn't a lot cheaper than building a new PC which is what I did in the end.

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What about one of those wireless lcd screen type thin client thingys which you could use to remote desk into the desktop machne.

I'll think of what they're called soon:blush:

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Tablet PC ?

8. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    I rune my PC with 2 mice, and there are no conflictions, just thought I would let you know. Both of mine are wireless, one is PS2 connection and the other is USB.

Also for the monitor, if you are not too fussed about picture quality, you can get video senders for not much money now, and I believe they will send a composite video signal easily over 18m. If you could get a composite signal into your monitor, you should be fine.

Cheers

Rob

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks John, that would work but I'm sure theres something else that runs windows ce or some such that allows you remote desktop access.

10. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not an answer for you, but I am curious how any broadband connection cannot be networked?
    When I started with NTL cable modem a few years ago, the equivalent Telewest service had the same restriction, the connection would only work with the MAC addresss of the ethernet card in the PC.
    This was soon defeated when routers such as the Linksys allowed MAC address cloning to make the ISP think it was still attached to an ethernet card on the original PC.
    Can you not get around this restriction, or even install a second ethernet and use ICS?

11. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I dont know about aol broadband but I tried aol dialup "breifly" and you couldn't use ics as the way the autosetup works it doesn't show it as a normal connection, most of the options are greyed out and it doesn't work if you use the settings to set the connection up manually, I guess the broadband is similar in some way.

12. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    JohnS. Thanks fr the input. I do recall AOL dial-up takes over the whole PC, which is why I never use it, so perhaps you are right.

I don't know how I would manage without networking at home. I have a desktop on 24/7, a laptop in the kitchen also 24/7 for my wife, the HTPC in the sitting room, 2 shuttles for the kids, and they use CBeebies and other child-friendly sites all the time. ( http://www.gab2001uk.com/images/shuttle.jpg ). When my student step-daughter is at home she also has a laptop and watches music video streaming from Yahoo or similar. All this running from NTL 600Mb/s cable modem.

If you can't network your broadband its time to change your ISP

13. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've got to agree, migrate to plus.net for £35 and then £18.99 a month or £21.99 with peer to peer and newsgroups unblocked, and no I dont work for them.

14. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    This is what I was thinking of, it runs win ce that has microsofts remote desktop app and just acts as a thin client, built in wireless just add a wireless card to your desktop pc.

Maybe not the cheapest option but definitly the coolest.:cool: