Tech for Toddlers

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My little girl turned 3 end of last month and is fascinated by the iPad and able to navigate and use it fjne, she also has similar fascination for Lego and the like and I'm wandering is there any tech or apps for the iPad which may be more educational and constructive.

I have loads of raspberry pis spare and think maybe they may be able to be used as she gets older, but again no idea what for

My son is 7 and uses an iPad etc, there is definitely a big upshift in dexterity after, say 5 yrs but at 3, it's still pretty rudimentary. Navigation is fine, as you say but when little problems occur, like hitting the wrong button and the screen resizing, going off centre or minimising, then they always need help in finding the way back. It's only natural. At that age I looked at good apps and such to aid interaction and some of the BBC ones are brilliant, I would also look at getting a 'skin' loaded which 'locks' them into certain apps which means they can't inadvertently wander off onto things that can present this problem. I have a pi which I'm about to start showing to my son as he now has the concentration and understanding to 'get' what's actually going on. I can tell you this though, invest some time in playing with your little girl with the tech aspect, it's bloody amazing how quickly they learn, you will be so proud

Cheers,
Amazed at how well taken to it, can input her pass code, switch apps, load you tube kids or choose her Netflix profile. And play Thomas tank engine :)
Guess it's similar to when I had the Vic 20 and c64 in a way

Really want to encourage her,
We love doing Lego builds together, did lukes landspeeder this week.

My 2.5yr old has been using our iphones since he was about 1 and can navigate, play the iPlayer shows he wants to watch with ease. He also plays the Chase app and is pretty good even though he doesn't have a clue what the questions say :)

I was originally against the idea and when he was born said "No tech for him until he's a lot older" but actually there's a lot of stuff on there that is useful and helps with their concentration, finger dexterity etc...

Planning on buying his own Ipad Mini this week as we got him a cheap android one but don't want to re-buy everything I have on my iPhone.

I'm also looking into good apps for my 2,5 year old son. Can you recommend certain apps?
He loves Thomas the tank engine and the youtube "learn colours for toddlers" videos.

And do you use a special Ipad for kids like Lancia 34 is saying? Or just on your own device?]

Thanks!

Sorry, don't mean to take over your topic dUnKle :)

My 2.5yr old, apart from Kids iPlayer and Sky Q recordings really loves the Hey Duggee games as he's obsessed with that program (so am I!)
As mentioned he likes the Chase app although cannot read the questions and they Cbeebies Playtime apps which are pretty good.

Think I have a Kids Doodle drawing app but he hasn;t shown too much interest in that so far. I'll need to have a look through and try and find some more educational\learning apps to try.

My 2.5yr old has been using our iphones since he was about 1 and can navigate, play the iPlayer shows he wants to watch with ease. He also plays the Chase app and is pretty good even though he doesn't have a clue what the questions say :)

I was originally against the idea and when he was born said "No tech for him until he's a lot older" but actually there's a lot of stuff on there that is useful and helps with their concentration, finger dexterity etc...

Planning on buying his own Ipad Mini this week as we got him a cheap android one but don't want to re-buy everything I have on my iPhone.

Agreed, our son started using my iPad at 1 and I bought him his own just after his 2nd birthday. He's 5 now and has always loved educational apps (as well as watching kids open 50 kinder eggs on YouTube!), and I've no doubt it's helped him to get to the level he's at now. He goes to the year above for Maths lessons and is easily the best reader in his year group.

There's no point denying kids tech these days, they're surrounded by it, use iPads etc at school right from nursery age and it's going to play a big part in their life. It's just a case of moderation as with anything else.

My three year old has an iPad and recently we bought her a LeapTV games console, she loves controlling blaze and the monster machines with her movement on the camera and driving blaze with the controller, some great sports games to get them moving too.

Ours have an Amazon Fire, that way they can have audio books, watch programs and play games either for fun or educational. They tend to regulate themselves, quite well, on the tablet for hrs then play for hrs, then nothing for days.. Was initially against but relaxed a bit and it's been fine..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom