Tech advice - network / TV freesat TV signal splitter help whilst getting loft conv

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dspit1664, Aug 24, 2013.

1. dspit1664

dspit1664

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Ok this is both network and tv/audio advice so mods not sure if this is bedt place for this type of post please advise/move as needed.

Help and advise whilst on a buget.
    Getting our loft converted - into two bedrooms and small compact bathroom.

Whilst construction is underway I thought why not install a node0 upstairs and run a connection from my suppliers point of entry up to node0.
    Also as part of this putting up a new dig aerial with intention of running multiple runs off to various tv points in house.

So first things where to start:
    1. Where to place node0? My thinking is a natural storage area/cupboard which when constructed will be at the top of central stairs in loft. My aim is to use it as central node0 and dig TV central / splitter local. Sound good ?

2. We're getting a new digital aerial put in and want to run multiple tv connections off the one source. Have been reading some posts, http://www.avforums.com/forums/memb...b-av-lounge-pics-lots-node-zero-wiring-4.html and others. Whilst on a very much tighter budget, saw OP used a 8 way f180, eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/GLOBAL-F180-LINK-EXTENDER-ROOMS/dp/B000NNM1MO#productDescription is something like this still the best way to got when splitting aerial feed to multiple tv's around the house?

3. What's the best way of connecting or moving the location where my ISP broadband comes in to my loft node0, should I simply move it to be co located within my node0 in loft or as following point suggests run cat from it to node0?

4. For now my idea is to simply run some cat cable from my master socket location aka where my BT broadband / router is up in the wall to the loft node0 location. Again this is get the cable in from point A - my ISP's entry point to my house to my central distribution point - node0. Get the basic backbone in and then when time and money permits build out to rest of house. Sound ok so far ?

5. Again for now now central node0 distribution will be nothing more than a gigabit switch. I'll run some cat from it to various network points in my two rooms in the loft. I intend to install some cat faceplates at various locations in each room. Some double one or two might even be quad. So starting off small and very basic as mentioned time and really budget constraints.

So above is for starters and over time I'll improve (perhaps add/swap out switch for proper patch panel/managed switch or such like) and add more network runs/points to other rooms in house. But slowly slowly catchy monkey. Wife is very closely scrutinising every penny ;)

Any suggestions feedback on the above gratefully appreciated as usual.
    Thanks all :thumbsup:
    :lease:

2. dspit1664

dspit1664

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Quick additional note
    I have a QNap 412 NAS for now being used for photo/video/audio storage and streaming via various media streamers to lounge and one bedroom. Eventually will add other media devices to tv's elsewhere (no got smart tv's).
    Like to relocate my NAS to node0 too.

Have various mobile devices. Want to stream HD video from NAS/online streaming services - lovefilm / Netflix or other too (well as HD as you can get from these services at moment)

Oh and one last thing grrrrr I can't currently get BT Infinity or other fibre ISPs offerings as my green cab we connected to isn't FTTC and won't be for the foreseeable. BT can't make enough money from where I live even though its a new'ish build development only <0.5 miles from FTTC enabled exchange. But I'll leave that there else will start to foam at mouth and rant. But guess working from home and getting ~7.5 Mb isn't too bad. Just seeing - come get infinity 2 all over place grates me. Grrrr

3. dspit1664

dspit1664

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Anyone or are my rambling confusing :mad:) ?