Team GB Medal Targets Were Not Over Hyped

Goes to show money dont buy u success(in regards to throwing money in a sport trying to develop young talent)

?

Don't understand... you mean you don't think we've been successful?
Currently 3rd behind China and the USA, who probably spend waaaaay more than we do on developing young talent.

I'd say that's pretty successful.

And the spending level is set to stay at this level till the next Olympics. Just hope it can be kept up afterwards.

Goes to show money dont buy u success(in regards to throwing money in a sport trying to develop young talent)

In terms of bang per buck AND ESPCIALLY population we have trounced other countries.
Also developing young talent can take a generation. Anyone remember how people turned on Tim Henman? That has taken time but now we have gold in tennis, this in turn encourages the next generation of players.
Or you can sit there and tell people not to try.

I may be wrong but may be johnnymendoza was referring specifically to football which was the comment prior to his

Interestingly the funding is 4x as much as it was for athens or sydney. £264m compared to £70m
But we will be doing well to get even 2x the medals - we would need 60 to double Athens.

SanPedro said:
?

Don't understand... you mean you don't think we've been successful?
Currently 3rd behind China and the USA, who probably spend waaaaay more than we do on developing young talent.

I'd say that's pretty successful.

And the spending level is set to stay at this level till the next Olympics. Just hope it can be kept up afterwards.

I meant our football.

Hey, I wasn't being negative; just showing complete ignorance! We are just absolutely brilliant, and I am glad I was so far off the mark. Well, not so much off the mark; off the map would have been more accurate!

Phil

Edit - if AV Forums have a 'forecasting dork' award I will gladly accept it! I would want to win it again when I make my prediction for the next World Cup.

Last edited:
In fact, we have now equaled Beijing in gold and total medals - even if everyone now packs up and goes home - we have four boxing medals guaranteed.

Phil

Yea I have been pleasantly surprised. I knew we would get some golds but not the rush we have experienced.

Surely nobody on here would have predicted this much after one day....?

First day without a medal today perhaps?

I think so. It's a lot of qualifying and people getting into finals etc today. We are guaranteed at least 5 more medals even if they are bronze I believe. Looking at what's on TV it's s bit of a quiet day all round.

Hopefully the GB women's hockey team will win tonight to get us through to the final.

Yes, it's a quiet day. The last days are usually our 'worst' re medals. But given that we have 4 or 5 guaranteed anyway in the boxing, it will still be a supreme Olympics for us. And hopefully Shanaze in the BMX and Mo in the 5000 metres can do something for us still.
I don't know why I continue to post in this thread given my earlier posts:D

Hey, but hopefully it's all coming across how proud I am of our guys and girls.

Phil

Good that it's quiet as I am mad busy at work to follow what's happening mate

Really have been fortunate this summer. Do not think it will be repeated in Rio, especially so if the cycling authorities insist Britain ride races blindfolded

An interesting analysis of Team GB vs Team USA in terms of medals won
Olympics 2012: are Team GB in serious competition with Team USA? | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Or the alternative ranking based on GDP and Population and Team Size - where actually we are not doing as well as some have commented. Sure we have far fewer people than China and the USA above us in the medals table, but much smaller countries are doing better still than usfor their size. Including even Australia who still have more medals per population than GB
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/2012/jul/30/olympics-2012-alternative-medal-table

Last edited:
Of course, you could also argue that the stats are a bit biased as only three competitors in most events can enter. I'm sure that the USA would win far more medals in athletics if, say, 5 people could be entered. We would almost certainly have another 6 or 7 medals if more cyclists could enter. But some of the tiny countries only have a few medal possibilities, so it doesn't really show that they are better in the overall sense.
But certainly some interesting stats there.
Australia tend to massively over achieve in sport; at this Olympics they are under achieving, but still doing better than would be expected if population was the consideration.

Phil

Well with at least two more guaranteed medals today in boxing, and a chance of one possibly two more, then it looks like the prediction of 65 medals wasn't overhyped after all.

Well done Team GB.

Noting the swimmers have excused their poor return despite receiving over £25 million (fourth on the funding list) seemingly as stage fright (quote Adlington "the crowd was overwhelming)? In startling contrast to every other athlete feeding off the partisan home support. To not even beat the marks set in the time trials before the Olympics points further to the pressure getting to them. UK Swimming are undertaking a review, methinks they are preparing for a funding drop. I would agree with that because realistically China and USA will take the majority of swimming medals

We just got another in the boxing, was a good fight

One more medal needed to hit 65 and just one more event left in which GB can win it.

aandpwoodley said:
We just got another in the boxing, was a good fight

Yeah, Joshua really dug it out in the last round

Loved his post match interview talking about the entire GB Team.

Edit. Italy have appealed !

Last edited:
sniffer66 said:
Edit. Italy have appealed !

And their appeal was unsuccessful, Joshua's victory has been confirmed :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom