Teak garden furniture... anyone bought some over the net, and who would you recommen?

SanPedro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some new garden furniture this week (while the weather is still holding). I'm after a set in teak (or similar) with a table and 6-8 chairs.

Just seeing if anyone here had any recommendations. There seems to be plenty of choice out there, considerably cheaper than the likes of B&Q. But obviously I can't check on build quality, finish etc.

So if anyone has any recommendations....

(obviously as soon as I get hold of the stuff there won't be a days sunshine for the rest of the summer) ;)

We got a cheap and cheerful set from here - the 99 quid one actually - its pretty good quality and has survived about 5 years so far with only 1 oiling. no cracking and is in good condition.

Garden Furniture Sets

Had alot of trouble with a company namd Wessex Teak so be wary ! Avoid at all costs. They may have changed their name since then. I will let you know.

Had alot of trouble with a company namd Wessex Teak so be wary ! Avoid at all costs. They may have changed their name since then. I will let you know.

They are still going. What sort of problems did you have?

Just in case I get similar issues elsewhere. There seem to be an awful lot of companies selling pretty much the same sort of stuff.

We got a cheap and cheerful set from here - the 99 quid one actually - its pretty good quality and has survived about 5 years so far with only 1 oiling. no cracking and is in good condition.

Garden Furniture Sets

Cheers Stoatman... that was one of the companies I was considering. They do a 6 chair plus table set for £379 which seems pretty good value.

What's the quality like in respect to fit and finish? Do you leave them out all the time?

It's reckoned that good teak furniture will supposedly last up to 50 years with proper care... which is more than I'll need it for :rotfl:

It looked great when it came , its not the most solid of sets but its only 99 quid !. Its easily as good as the sets in B&Q etc but they are just a rip off in my opinion. They have lasted well and are still perfectly servicable , we havn't really looked after ours and are kept out all the time with no cover - through the snow etc - and have no cracking / warping . Need a good sand and refinishing but the wood is in perfect order.

They are still going. What sort of problems did you have?

Just in case I get similar issues elsewhere. There seem to be an awful lot of companies selling pretty much the same sort of stuff.

We bought various bits of furniture that never arrived. A year later we were still locking horns with them to get our money back. In the end we took them to a small claims court. Took ages and they kept pulling little tricks like saying they had sent a cheque and we had cashed it etc. In the end we were refunded but it was serious graft. There seems to be quite a few companies importing Teak goods from Indonesia where they can purchase entire shipping containers of sets at rock bottom prices. If you find yourself dealing with these companies my advice would be to arrange to collect the items yourself and pay on collection.

Whatever you do buy, resist the temptation to use any teak oil on your new teak table. I bought an expensive set last July, oiled it in early August and soon regretted it as mildew started to grow in the grain of the wood. Apparently it uses the oil as a food and thrives. It was only after a good sand and a serious scrubbing that the table is back to looking respectable.

Our next garden set is going to be metal

Sod spending hours sanding and re-staining

Lovely set in Costco with a solid marble table only downside it's nearly a grand :thumbsdow

We have a set made of Iroko (which has similar qualities to teak), purchased in 2001 it is still perfect.

I have bought stuff from Wessex Teak. The furniture is good and the prices are keen.....BUT they are very unreliable. They will tell you one thing regarding delivery and completely palm you off with a story if it ends up being another month.. Also be very aware that if you send them a cheque you are taking a very big risk. They don't take credit cards..wonder why not.
They normally do cash on delivery which is fine, and given a choice this is the only way I would ever buy anything from them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom