Teaching my Harmony 555 Redeye commands

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Laceybloke, May 4, 2007.

1. Laceybloke

Laceybloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I've got myself a Harmony 555 and I'm very impressed with it on the whole. I knew when I bought it that it wouldn't control my Pace 2000 cable box due to the whole IRDA incompatibility thing, so I've decided to get a Redeye to solve the problem.

However, I'm unsure how my 555 will learn the necessary commands to control the Pace 2000. Will the Harmony software be able to do it for me, or will I have to go through the (scary-looking) "teach mode" on the Redeye? If I do have to use "teach", is it as complex as it looks, or is it actually straightforward?

If anyone's got any experience of how it works, I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

Many thanks.

2. Laceybloke

Laceybloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Okay right - something odd (but strangely pleasing) just happened, so ignore my previous post.

I went into the Harmony software, and saw that the Pace DITV-2000 box was listed. I figured that this must just be for use with the Redeye, but thought I'd set it up pending delivery of my Redeye tomorrow.

I configured it as I wanted it, and updated the remote. I went to the lounge to try it out - just on the off-chance - and, hey presto it all works!

I'm very confused - every piece of literature I've read says that the Harmony 555 won't work with Pace STB's, yet mine's working perfectly.

Have Pace changed away from IRDA, or have Logitech updated the 555? Any ideas?!

Weird, but good. I'm not complaining!

3. Paulie-W

Paulie-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +493
    I think it was only the old dtv 1000`s that used irda.

4. Laceybloke

Laceybloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was under the impression (from http://www.redremote.co.uk/) that the 2000 was IrDA as well?

The weird thing is that both my new Harmony 555 (which allegedly doesn't do IrDA) and the remote from my old Pace 1000 STB both control my new 2000 box. So have Pace updated the hardware in the 2000 to the same spec as the 4000 - which uses both protocols?

5. Paulie-W

Paulie-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +493
    I dunno. Maybe you just got lucky :D The guys over at cable forum will have a better knowlege than me. It`s been a while since i had cable, but i remember i did need to use a red eye with my 1000 box.