Teaching harmony new IR commands not working anymore?

stephentw

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried teaching a Harmony a new IR command recently? I've got one of the older remotes (Harmony One) and the latest software (7.8.0.0) which seems to work ok with the odd quirk on Windows 10.

When a device is missing the odd button here and there I can't get the learning to work, it goes to the right page when I select Learn IR then I scroll right to the bottom to Learn a new command, give it a name and it goes to the learning page where you plug in the remote and press the button on the original remote. It detects the button press ok and then just goes back to the Learn IR page without adding the new command.

I've tried it with a couple of remotes now and it does the same with both, can anyone test it and see if it works and what it should do after it detects the keypress?

I did this a number of years ago, and I think I was on Windows 8.1. I was having a similar problem and someone on the Harmony forums suggested unplugging my laptop from the mains while doing the IR learning. To my great surprise, it actually worked! Unfortunately, I don't use that device or remote any more, so unable to test. Hope you figure it out.

don't think I would ever have thought of that. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Can confirm this does indeed work. Laptop on battery power only and using the built in USB ports and it worked straight away.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Back stuck with this problem again. The above workaround no longer works for me despite nothing having changed (except windows updates I suppose). So I can't learn IR commands again.

I was thinking about upgrading to the MyHarmony desktop software as I'm using the older one still but I read it loses some of the programmed buttons etc in the process so I'd have to set some things up potentially. Bit reluctant to do that because the remote is working perfectly other than learning these 3 IR commands.

Don't suppose anyone has any other magic fixes?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom