Teac TN100 direct to Cambridge Azur 650?

juniper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Total newbie here when it comes to turntables, so excuse ignorance here! I have just decided to remind myself what my old vinyl sounds like, no have bought a Teac TN100 turntable. I have connected it via phono cables to the Aux input on my CA 650 integrated amp. Is this ok? I m finding that I have the volume up to about 50% on the amp, which is unheard of, and the sound is not as detailed as I was expecting. Have I done anything wrong? Any help or suggestions gratefully appreciated - thank you.

Is the Phono EQ switch on the back of the Teac set to on? Looks like the CA has no phono stage so you'll need to use the one in the Teac. Although that apparently is quite low anyway.

It may be worth trying some different inputs on the amp as they sometimes have different sensitivities, although I can't find anything in the specs.

Last edited:
Thanks - and yes I have the Phono EQ to on. I've tried the CD one now too but much the same. Have never had the amp above about 20% playing a CD through the same input. Thanks for your suggestions

Hi there,

As mentioned above it is worth reading my thread, a couple of tips I have though...

1. Yes you do need the amp volume up much higher.
2. The EQ settings on my AMP at least make a big difference, I suggest keep bass and treble flat across all speakers but set EQ to something like Prologic 2 (or similar for your amp) to out put to all speakers than just the front two.
3. Cables do help, I got the cheap but well made KableDirect phono cables off ebay.
4. The biggest difference was made using a separate preamp, in my case I got the Cambridge Azur 551P which I think is more than adequate. It's hard to explain but the sound is brighter and louder (not by much but rather than say "60" I can run my amp at around "45-50" volume now for the same loudness.
5. Keep the lid up when you are listening especially at high volume.

At that point you should be fine, In my case I'd already committed to a new cartridge that was on order, the Ortofon 2M Red.... it certainly looks the part and appears well made. I think it also boosts the volume but at this point I found my turntable was very sensitive to interference and you'll find the other thread discusses alot about that. Overall I think I probably would have been fine with the supplied Audio Technica cartridge buit with a bit more experimenting with placement I am happy with the turntable, Cambridge Audio Azur 551P and Ortofon 2M Red.

I'm also going to look at earthing the TT to the Cambridge 551P, another thing I have read is that replacing the rubber mat for a felt one makes a big difference, so that's an inexpensive mod to make.

What I have though is system that cost much more than I expected, thankfully my missus has been very understanding!! :) It doesn't sound better or worse than CD, but it's different, very different in fact, surprisingly so. The sound is more "live" and that makes it really enjoyable, coupled with the fact that it a more physical process, get the vinyl, take out, put it on the TT etc... it's more effort but there's more reward at the end. Like you I just wanted to spin up my old vinyls, now I'm actively seeking out old vinyl on Ebay and local stores....I think I'm hooked and you may be too! :)

Last edited:
Thanks Busterdan - a great and very helpful post and very much appreciated. I've gone and bought the CA551 and found it does help - am happy with that so am sticking for the time being and just getting to enjoy my vinyl again as a result. Happy days!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom