1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TEAC Reference Mk II (vs Denon) + where to buy

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by converse, Nov 30, 2004.

1. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Been looking to buy a small decent mini-system, and narrowed it down to the Denon 201SA and the TEAC Reference MkII (in silver) http://www.teac.co.uk/reference300Mkii_main.html

Preference for the TEAC is the option of a tuner with DAB, seems little point at present buying a new system without DAB.

Was considering the following TEAC components:

1. Stereo Amplifier - A-H300MkII
    2. DAB/AM/FM Stereo Tuner - T-H300 DABMkII
    3. CD Player - PD-H300MkII

Then either some KEF or Mission bookshelf speakers (sound ok?).

However I cannot find anyone selling the MkII, even during long on-line searches! Only the original reference 300 series (T-H300 DAB, A-H300, PD-H300) etc, for example: www.av-sales.com

Any ideas?

2. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I'm after this system myself.......but will be going with the Wharfdale 9.1 speakers :)

Best place I have found so far is hifibitz £399 for the system, and £180 for the Wharfdales....and £15 for the top QED speaker cable....

Impy

3. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent - great taste :thumbsup: just found their site and prices - thanks for that.

Mk II seems to be very hard to come by, other major stockists seem to have the older versions instead.

Still can't decide on speakers tho!

4. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    No probs, go for the Wharf's m8, they won Best speaker 2004 !! have a read of this months "What Hi-Fi" mag, I quote......

"We're still struggling to believe that £180 can buy you this kind of performance"

5. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, sounds good, might have to have a look at those!

The DAB tuner is out of stock at hifibitz, they say they should have some in the next 10 days (via email) - clearly a popular product.

Let me know how you get on too!

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    Just been told by HiFiBitZ that my order for the TEAC CR-H250 CD / Receiver (one down from the 300 series) from the 21st would be delivered 'before christmas'. I need it before then. John Lewis had it back in stock on the 23rd and are now out of stock again. HiFix have just taken my order and are expecting a delivery in the next couple of days and are prepared to ship to my work address which may just save my bacon.

Sounds like TEAC have stock shortages across the board. I would call anyone before you place an order to make sure you're not going on the end of a long list!

7. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been looking at the speakers you mentioned, The Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, certainly sound good! Also considering the Mission M31i, but haven't heard them, get a good review too and, can get them in for £106... wot fink?

(Still tracking down stocks of the TEAC, have you orders your's yet?)

8. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Yep, ordered from Hifibitz, they said they are only waiting for the DAB tuners, the rest is in stock, and should be with them this coming week.....

I was also looking at the Mission's as they were also rated 5 stars, but it was noted that they are suitable for smaller rooms, which would be a problem for my system as its going in the living room.....

When I get the system I'll post a review on here :)

Impy

9. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, in stock too, a rareity.

Going to get the system and a decent speaker cable first, then upgrade the interconnects once it's set-up.

So speakers... The TEAC amp is listed as 6 Ohm (at 45+45W), some speakers have an impedance of 6 ohms, others 8. Should you always match a 6 ohm Amp with 6 ohm speakers, or isn't this an issue? (The monitor-audio and Wharefedale are 6 ohm, Mission 8.)

11. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Well, Just had an email from Hifibitz, they are now saying the Teac "should" be in stock before Xmas, but the Wharfdale's are a no-go :( as wharfdale themselves have not had them for the last 6 weeks !!!

Order cancelled then, will be looking elsewhere......

Impy

12. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ohhh noo! Going to try a local retailer tomorrow and see if they can get stocks direct, but had same problem on speakers... :( But I've heard the Missions and they sound great, so probably going to stick to those... providing I can actually get the TEAC system too! Christmas rush eh?!

13. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    FWIW HiFix shipped my Reference 250 yesterday. Keep looking at the office door to see if there's a courier...and now it's turned up - big box, little unit.
    Looks nice, wonder how it sounds...

14. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Well.....the saga continues......

Went to my local Hi-Fi dealer today to have a word about what speakers would be best with the Teac 300MKII....And to my surprise he had a system himself not for sale though :thumbsdow , and allowed me to have a listen with the Wharfdale 9.1's.

He also then changed them to the Monitor B2's, and although I consider myself to have a sharp ear when it comes to sound, I could not tell the difference between the 2 speakers....and the sound of the system is first class....defo the one to go for....

So, I have now found a stockists with a confirmed delivery of Wednesday :clap: next Wednesday, and have gone for the Monitor B2's....

:thumbsup:

Impy

15. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great news Impy! Had a listen to the Missions on Sat, sounded fantastic, look great too, mind you all of those ones do in the recent What Hi-Fi review, don't think any of us can go wrong with the choices. The system looks fantastic, just awaiting my local dealer to see if he can get stock, if not, going to find best on-line deal and just buy the TEAC system first, then get speakers elsewhere!

What are you doing about cables, especially speaker cables?

Turning into a right saga, imagine us all fighting over the counter at the stores!

:clap:

16. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    :rotfl:

Thats OK, im 6ft5" so get to the back !!

As for the speaker cable i'm going for QED Silver Anniversary cable, again rated 5 stars by What Hi-Fi, not the cheapest I know (£8 per metre) but I only need a couple of metres so not too bad, and anyway after getting a top system seems silly to scrimp on cables....

Good luck at your local stockist m8......As soon as mine turns up I'll let you know ;)

Impy

17. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ;)
    Well local dealer thinks he'll have stock in the next day or so but rep reckons it is £480, and the mission's he can't get nor the other speakers :( so may wait and barter with him, but if he can't match nearer 400 like the online retailers, I'll just buy online... Thought I'd either go for QED Original, or the Silver Anniversary like you for the cable, and looking at a gorgeous stand from StandsUnique.com

Ahhh Christmas eh?!

18. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    £480 !! bit steep :)

Tell you what I have been looking at......those Spiked feet for speakers....have you had any experience of them ? and do they make a difference ?

19. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know, if they can't match the £400 on line from HiFiBitz, then will get it online, like to do business with local shops, but not for an extra £80 :rotfl:

The spiked feet can make a difference, they must go through the carpet (and underlay) so the spike actually hits the concrete floor below, otherwise there isn't much gain. There are also stands / shelfs with carbon filters where the spike rests on a carbon bit then the shelf which reduce vibrations too. I think for bang-per-buck the simple spikes can made a difference for very little outlay - but if you keep moving them too hoover, you'll end up with a buggered carpet and the missus' will not be happy :lesson:

Probably going to try them first, then maybe go for the Stancette, or some of those gorgeous glass ones in the previous link above.

Can't wait to hear your opinion on the system when it actually arrives! Clearly is going to be days, if not a couple of weeks before I sort all mine out :boring:

20. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    If you are a Barclaycard customer you could always buy from your local retailed then use the price promise to recoup the difference when stock is more plentiful next year. You can also get an extra year on the guarantee for nothing with Barclaycard.

21. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Had a call from them today, it will be delivered on Friday of this week :)

Can't wait.......

22. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly not Barclaycard customer, good deal though.

Local dealer being slow and HiFiBitz said yesterday they couldn't guarantee for Christmas now :eek:

But maybe they are just saying that to cover their backs, because they must have stock for you ;)

So will give dealer until Fri, if nothing there, try to hunt one down online! (Hughes Direct have it but it's £20 more expensive than HiFiBitz, then delivery is another tenna :confused: )

:rolleyes:

23. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Naaa m8, I cancelled the Hifibitz order, mines coming from another stockist, here's the email I had from them yesterday....they still havent got physical stock, so you never know I could be back on here looking again !!

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your message, we are still due the Teac Delivery, probably
    Wed/Thurs.

It looks most likely we will be able to ship to you this Thursday for
    delivery on Friday this week.

For the record, the total price for the Ref 300 MkII, cd, amp,dab tuner and
    MA B2's is £562.00.

If anything changes regarding delivery I will contact you.

Kind Regards,

David.

24. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
  25. Paulholio

Paulholio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just recieved my 300 mkII DAB from hifix so they have it in stock. I got some B&W speakers for mine

26. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Well.....10:30am and no sign of it yet :( just sent them an email as I have not heard from them, have a bad feeling :(

Impy

27. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Yay !! just had a call from them and it's been dispatched and will be here today before 5:30pm :):):)

Meant to post the link to their site before now,

Ref 300 MKII

Not bad all in :) and free delivery :)

Roll on City Link Delivery Van :):)

28. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Well, system has arrived, is set up, and WOW do those Mission B2's sound good !!

The quality and richness to the sound is astonishing, well done Teac/Mission.....get the system, you really won't be dissapointed.....

29. ngkmh

ngkmh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How does it sound....?

30. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    I'm very impressed. It took a minute or 2 to find my way around the controls (should probably read the instructions :) ).
    It's connected to a pair of Mission 700 speakers that I've had in a box for ages. It's in my kitchen which is tiled floor and work surfaces wit no soft furnishing, so a very 'bright' room.
    First listen felt a bit weedy and thin. It needs to be cranked up a bit to start to really sound good and it needed a +2 on the treble which put a bit of meat into the midrange (strange but true). The speakers are probably a bit OTT but the range of the volume control gives nice fine control and I'll never be trying to move the room.

DAB tuner is excellent, even through the supplied bit of wire aerial - sound quality is more than good enough to expose the compression on my fav station XFM which is a mixed blessing. Radio 2 sounded better on Jonny Ross. In comparison to the pirate and static attack of FM I'm happy to deal with the compromise in sound quality.

I haven't spent much time with the CD but initial impressions are very good.

I haven't tested against the competition - in particular there is a new Onyko system with a very similar set of features - but I'm very happy with it for my purposes.

Oh and a massive thumbs up for http://www.hifix.co.uk/ they dealt with the faulty replacement without a problem and dispatched when they said they would. Nice people to deal with.