1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teac EU-6STF purple patch problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by channelben, Jan 12, 2005.

1. channelben

channelben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I have a 76cm flatscreen widescreen TEAC EU-6STF television, and there's a big purple patch in the lower right corner. It came to be when a speaker was left next to it, but now I can't get it to go away.

I've been told that you can do a big degauss thingie in the system menu. Anyone know how to do this, or any other ways to get rid of the purple?

Cheers.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If the screen is that badly magnetised, the built-in degauss may not be enough. If that's the case, you may need a de-gaussing tool. Most TV repair shops have these, and (at a pinch) you can use the bulk-erasers sold for magnetic tape, which you can often find cheap on Ebay. Degaussing a screen takes a certain amount of skill, and if you are in any doubt you should call in an engineer.

P.S. Most TV's do an automatic degauss whenever you switch them on from cold.

3. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I would second what Nick says here.

Sometimes, the magnetic patch (which as you say has been caused by a speaker) is very stubborn to go - and indeed - again as Nick says - the built in degauss function (which should operate when the set is turned off and then back on again, after leaving it off for a while) is not enough.

The degauss wand is probably your best bet. Most tv repair people use and have these. However, the bad news is, is that the patches may go when degaussed but could return quickly afterwards - I know - I had this happen on a speaker which was not magnetically shielded sold with a new Panasonic - as soon as the engineer had deguassed the screen the corner discolourment patch came back again after about 3 hours. It was unrepairable and as the set was brand new I swapped it for a Sony set which does not have these problems.

Hope u can get it sorted

Paul