Teac CR-H255 vs Onkyo CS515DAB

pauljcarr

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry for asking an impossible question but I want to make sure that I do not make a mistake that I live to regret.

Before Christmas, I bought a Teac Reference 300 Mk II/III from Richer Sounds. The price was great, performance too but unfortunately, it developed a fault after a few days - the CD unit (PD-H300) would not respond to the remote. RS didn't have any more in stock and I swapped for a Teac Legacy 700 which they had on special offer. I know these are do not compete in the same marketplace but I could not resist the price @ £199. However I didn't like the sound so back it went. I had read a bit here and elsewhere online about the Teac CR-H255 and the Onkyo CS515DAB and decided I should go for one or other.

Impatience took over so I went for the Teac which is....well, fine but.....

The sound seems a bit light, lacking bass and warmth, and I can't help but feel that there could be more "definition". BTW I am not a career audio enthusiast and have never had enough cash to buy anything other than home friendly hifi, i.e. not too big, not too intrusive, not too expensive. Accordingly, I am not certain what I should be looking for and what expectation is reasonable but I cannot help but feel that I should be more wow-ed than I am.

My question is really this - should I go for the Onkyo and would it give me noticeably better performance? I have read very positive remarks on the Onkyo, seemingly a little less so on the Teac, but I have not seen a "head to head" review.

I am using Gale 4040 floorstanders, again because they seemed to be a good deal. Although I have had these over 2 weeks, I think I could persuade RS to swap them but my budget will not significantly exceed the £99 that the 4040s cost me.

I have around a week remaining within my 14 day period to make up my mind. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

The onkyo is a fine piece of kit. I have one in an office with Kef iq5's and am very happy with it.

I own a 515 and compared it to a Yamaha M170 when I bought it. The 515 literally made the M170 sound like a budget £50 goodmans micro system, I havent listened to the Teac, however I used to own the old 300 series Teac seperates and they didnt sound bad but I wouldnt say they were as good as the onkyo.

I auditioned the Onkyo against the Yamaha and the Teac CR-H255 and I agree with majorwedjy on the Yamaha.

Although the Onkyo didn't sound vastly better than the Teac, it still outshone it in depth and clarity and overall it sounded like a much more expensive unit.

I also compared it with the JVC with wooden speakers, cones soaked in saki, and again to my ears there was just no contest.

I run mine through Q Acoustic 1010's and it just keeps getting better, at all volume levels and with all kinds of music. In fact I am listening to some very nice elctronic music right now and it never ceases to amaze me. I have it sited on my desk in my dining room, approx 14' x 11' and we had a party of 10 in here just before Christmas and most of my friends were simply blown away by this little unit.

I'm running the Onkyo with Mordaunt Short 902i's and the sound is excellent.

It'll probably be even better when my speaker stands arrive.

Gents,

Thanks all for replies. You have helped me make my decision - the Teac goes back and I get an Onkyo.

The next dilemma is whether to get a 515 or a 715 - I've seen the 715 at a good price.......

:thumbsup:

I just got my self a pair of kef IQ3 speakers for my 715 (£200 at superfi bargin!!), sounded fantastic in the shop even at higher levels. Just waiting for them to get stock of the colour i wanted. So not got them home yet, would say id need a few weeks/months for them to run in etc to say how good they are. I always woundered if it was worth me spending the extra £100 pounds on the 715, ive herd of ppl powering much larger speakers with the 515, but i feel beter knowing im less likely to blow the speakers by underpowering them. Supose depends wat speakers you get/room size etc.

Finally, I got the Onkyo 715 earlier today. It's still in the box but will be set up soon! :clap:

Just a little aside, I see references to the CS-515 and CS-715 as well as CR-515 and CR-715. They appear to be used interchangeably. Anyone know if there is a difference and if so, what is it?

Thanks again for advice & information.

Later edit - the 715 is now set up - WOW! I am so pleased that I changed from the TEAC. The sound is a quantum leap better than the CR-H255, rich, warm, deep, distinctive. Most excellent!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom