TEAC amp headphone jack making a noise

indosurf

I just purchased a TEAC NR-7CD. Everything is great except the headphone jack makes a humming/buzzing noise whenever I attach headphones to it. I have tried a range of different headphones, wall outlets and tried going through the different sources. There aren't any problems when listening to just the speakers. The buzzing sound is constant through low to high volumes.

I've noticed that from what the TEAC website says, the jack supports up to 3.5mm 4 pole although, all of my headphones only have 3 pole. Is this possibly the cause?

How would I go about fixing this myself?

gibbsy

Four pole on a stereo amp you have to ask why when the best connection is going to be a simple two pole stereo. Four pole supports a mic and control. The reason for your humming is that the grounding is not quite in the right place, you will need a three pole to four adapter. I've attached a link but not I'm not recommending it.

indosurf

Ok thanks for that.
I might try out my earphones that came with my phone later today. Since they have a 4 pole connection.

indosurf

Even when using a 4 pole, the buzzing persists. I have made sure to fully push the jack. Might try to set up a refund.

gibbsy

I think that's the right course of action. You are stumped with the Teac because there is no way to hook up and external headphone amp. I am really surprised at the choice of headphone jack for such an expensive bit of kit. You have to look hard to find amps that are not fitted with 6.35mm jacks for three pole stereo 'phones.

You are also limiting yourself to redbooks without the choice of SACD playback. Would you consider going down a separate route? There are some very good SACD players available at the moment such as the Denon DCD 2500 NE. A standalone stereo amp would also give you are more versatile set up and many have really good headphone circuits. It's also easier to upgrade or replace separate units rather than an all in one.

I have the above Denon and it's hooked up to a Rega Elicit-R amp and that combination would work out at the same listed price of the Teac with discounts on the Denon. Caveat to that is that I also had to buy a standalone headphone amp because the Elicit-R is a bare bones analogue amp with no headphone circuit. All my headphones are three pole with no need for the four pole control but your headphones should work silently with the Teac unless there is a grounding issue on the Teac.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Even when using a 4 pole, the buzzing persists. I have made sure to fully push the jack. Might try to set up a refund.

From the Teac website.

“3.5mm 4-pole headphone jack supports separate grounding L/R ground separation is supported by the 3.5mm 4-pole separate
ground jack. Connecting compatible headphones or earphones with a 3.5mm 4-pole plug will increase left and right channel separation, allowing you to enjoy outstanding stereo imaging when listening with headphones. (You can also use headphones with standard 3.5mm 3-pole plugs as is.)”

So it's not just the fact that it has a 4 pole socket as it also accepts a standard 3 Pole plug.
Your symptoms suggest there's a fault in the built-in headphone amp.

indosurf

Ok well thanks for all input but for now I have set up a refund and they said they'll take a look at it. I'll be very surprised if they come back and say it's working fine because it definitely seems like an inherent problem. Will have to wait and see what happens.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom