1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teac AG5D

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Unsure, May 20, 2004.

1. Unsure

Unsure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I bought Mordaunt Short Premier range speakers and was sold the Teac AG5D amp. I have set it all up and it all sounds good.

I just wanted to ask peoples opinions on this amp and wether it is a good match for my speakers. I only got the amp yesterday so I still have 14 days to take it back to Richer Sounds. I paid £199 for it and I have just seen on Richer Sounds website that they are selling the Marantz SR4400 for the same price.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. nimni

nimni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    look at: AV Amp for £250.00 or less ?

Posts: 3 Go to Superfi and ask for a price on the Pioneer 812 - despite it being on their website with money off at something under £300 I went into the shop last week and bought one new for £199 - an absolute bargain as it is the best budget amp according to What Hi-Fi.

Picking it up this friday so can't tell you what I think of it but all I've heard are great reviews on it!
    I just ordered one for £199 and it going fast

3. Unsure

Unsure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I might check that out. I would still like to know what people think of the Teac amp.

4. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take Richers up on their 14 day trial and try the SR4400. It will match up well with the MS speakers you have.

Enjoy!

BTW the extra 60 quid for the SR5400 is IMO money well spent.

5. Unsure

Unsure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I may try the SR4400.

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, I have the AG5D's Big brother, the AG10D (£50 more). I was recently looking for a budget a/v amp to power the dvd & game stuff in my bedroom and chose it over the Marantz 4400 (mixed reviews, too big & ugly), another Yammy (already have the RX-V640) and the Sony DB490.

Firstly, Well done with the MS premier system - I think its a great piece of kit for the money (around £350?). Some would argue that the AG5D is a little "lightweight", and that the Premier package deserves better. I would argue that its an excellent starter a/v amp and will serve your purposes fine until you (inevitably) upgrade.

I'm perfectly happy with my Teac and expect you will be too. The only major problem I have with the unit is the horrid remote, which is poorly designed and a nightmare to use. Other than that, stop worrying about the relative quality of your gear and start watching your movies **LOUD**!!!!

DT

7. Unsure

Unsure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dynamic Turtle.

I have always wanted the MS Premier speakers :) . I have been away so watched my first film last night. I watched Kill Bill and I thought it sounded brilliant. Don't get me wrong I did test my setup when I got it using Armageddon, and that also sounded brilliant.

The thing with the Marantz is it is to big and it would stick out of my stand by 5cm so probably going to stick with the Teac. You are right about the remote, they could have done a better job with that.

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep, KB has a *killer* soundtrack! Good choice.

Dunno 'bout David Sneddon though......

9. Unsure

Unsure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice pun.

I took Nimni's advice and went to Superfi yesterday and ordered one of the few remaining Pioneer VSX D812 amps. Hopefully going to pick it up tomorrow.