1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tea with 3802 !!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Trig, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Trig

Trig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

Would appreciate your advice opinions on this one please.

Last night my wife managed to kick over a strategically placed cup of tea all over my 3802. Some of the liquid obviously went into the amp via the vents on the top. The amp, which was on with a CD playing, shut down with a click leaving the red power led flashing away.

Before turning into the Incredible Hulk I turned off the power.

This morning I closed my eyes and turned the power back on. The amp seemed to 'boot up' normally and appears to play as normal.

What do you think have I got away with it or will it self destruct after this message. (Policy booklet is at the ready)

Thanks

Trig:(

P.S. It was no sugar and full fat milk.

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trig,
    You may have got lucky as the amp was probably hot enough to vapourise most of the tea. I myself would have probably left it for another day or so before turning it on to make sure all the remaining liquid was gone and at the same time left the heating in that room on full.

NOW the most important thing is to teach the wife not to put liquid near electronic equipment..............make her write out lines 1000 times "I must not put liquids anywhere near electronic AV equipment" I think she owes you a very nice meal etc :devil:

Regards
    John

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I would recommend cleaning the residue of tea from the inside of the amp.
    I don't expect milky tea it is very corrosive but it wouldn't hurt to clean it up a bit.
    Obviously if your amp is still withing the warranty period then you probably won't want to start pulling it apart.

As a general rule, any electronic/electrical equipment which is subject to water ingress *should* be okay once it has dried - assuming there was no lasting damage caused by any short circuits, etc.

The quickest and best way to dry out kit is in the airing cupboard for a day or 2.
    I have known this to work for everything from mobile phones dropped in the toilet to drinks poured on hi-fi gear.

Depending on the liquid, the item may need to be dismantled and cleaned as stuff like beer/wine has a habit of clogging up switches and buttons.

4. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I would use that as a perfect excuse to upgrade if I were you. Doesn't come easier to justify than that. :D

5. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Hmmm, good point...
    And the beauty is, you can blame it all on the wife...and make sure she doesn't forget exactly why you had to shell out for a new amp, speakers, plasma, DVD, etc....:D

6. Trig

Trig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys

Am feeling a little better now.
    I don't think I'll let her off the hook just yet though. :D

JUS, like where you are coming from ! That is food for thought, will have to see how much room Santa has in his bag.

Thanks again

Trig.

7. DaveHemm

DaveHemm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check your home contents insurance for accidental damage coverage.