Tea Accident: Can a magic remote be taken apart

_Dragon_

I had a message from my parents saying they spilt tea over the remote and now the on/off button on the remote doesn't work same with the number buttons, they have to use the wheel to go through the channels.

Just wondering if its possible to take apart the remote to dry it out?

I'm guessing that a new remote from LG is going to cost alot? I did a quick scan on google and found argos do a universal remote, but couldn't find any original remotes from LG.

Cheers

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Yes, most remotes can be taken apart and cleaned/dried out.
Check for any hidden screws in the battery compartment and under labels then carefully prise the two halves apart…there are usually hidden clips along the sides.
Start at a bottom corner and work your way up. Mobile phone tools and spatulas are handy for taking them apart.
Be careful, do not use a knife and watch your fingers.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Although a little late now, grabbing a spare non-Magic remote from the likes of eBay is worth considering. I grabbed a suitable, genuine LG remote for a tenner.

_Dragon_

Yes, most remotes can be taken apart and cleaned/dried out.
Check for any hidden screws in the battery compartment and under labels then carefully prise the two halves apart…there are usually hidden clips along the sides.
Start at a bottom corner and work your way up. Mobile phone tools and spatulas are handy for taking them apart.
Be careful, do not use a knife and watch your fingers.
When I go round to them I will have a look to see if I can gently prise it apart thanks.
Although a little late now, grabbing a spare non-Magic remote from the likes of eBay is worth considering. I grabbed a suitable, genuine LG remote for a tenner.
I will have a look on ebay then to see if there is any if I can't get the remote working. Thanks.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
When looking for a replacement Magic remote, note that there are several flavours. The design seems to change slightly from year to year. I can't the changes causing any compatibility issues, but when LG, you never know.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom