1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tdl

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hostile 17, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I understand they stopped trading a while back.I have just seen a pair of Studio 10's on RS for £200. Anyone heard these, TDL seem to have quite a good following. I'm seriously considering buying these. How would they compare to Mission m33's or m34's?

2. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the guys I live with bought a pair of Studio 10's with a Cambridge audio A5 amplifier from Richers a couple of weeks ago.

I remember being quite pleasantly surprised when I heard them, my only real opinion being that the treble sounded a bit soft for my taste but I have not heard any of the Missions you mention so cannot compare. I had thought they might sound a bit naff as he had chosen them simply on a "they are the biggest, they must be the best" logic and hadnt even listened to them before buying. We had also had a good look around on the internet and I personally didnt like the fact that "TDL" have no web-site and details about the speaker were impossible to find.

You do get a lot of speaker considering its only £100 a side, they stand about 108cm high!, the two bass drivers are just under 6 inches accross and the piano black finish around the midrange and tweeter does look pretty classy.

However, I would give you the same advice I gave him (even if he did ignore it! :suicide: ), if you're buying from RS then take advantage of that fact and listen to all the other speakers they have at the £200 mark, I remember telling him that for that money I would instinctively have gone for the KEF Coda 90 if I didnt have the oppurtunity to listen as on paper it looks like a very able speaker and gets good reviews.

If I remember correctly they also had some Gale and Celestion speakers at RS for the same money, the Studio 10's do look very impressive but if you can get a nicer sound for the money then that should be the deciding factor I think.

Kev

3. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. The TDL's are looking like a very nice option for me at the moment. Is the midrange very good?

4. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really wouldnt want to give too much of an opinion on the sound, I'm used to a metal dome tweeter and I only listened to them for about 10 minutes after we'd unwrapped them and set them up and like any speaker the sound will change once they've been run-in.

Seriously, listen to them against the others at that price and see which sound you prefer. I heard somewhere that the majority of the cost of a floor stander goes on the cabinet, the crossover components can also be expensive so for £100 a side and what is by all accounts a HUGE cabinet I do have my reservations about the quality of the drive units.

one other thing, they do not have grills for any of the drive units and so they might not be suitable if you have any kids just waiting to let their fingers "explore" your new purchase :D

Kev

5. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nah, the exploring of fingers in my room are of my own when my girlfriends around, so that ain't a problem. Anyone else heard these speakers?

6. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to get these. Any idea how long RS take to deliver?

8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check guarantee supplied as TDL obviously no longer offer their lifetime guarantee and spares aren't easily available. Good speakers at the time though, not my taste but build seemed pretty good!

9. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used TDL's for years and absolutely LOVE them.
    The RTL series were a a real classic of their time and with some upgrading and customisation are still some of the best speakers available.
    I use The 3's and 4's in my system all customised with upgraded crossover components, internal bracing and internal wiring.

The new ones are the same in name only, I had a demo of them when they first came on the market and was totally gutted.

That said, compared to what you can get ofr the money from competing manufacturers they are a lot of driver and weight for the money.

Incidentally, spares for the "RTL" and "Studio" series are readily available from Wilmsow Audio (VIFA drive units for the most part)

10. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1