TDL Studio Monitors

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NeilT, Sep 2, 2013.

1. NeilT

NeilT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,I have owned a pair of Walnut TDL Monitors,not the Reference Standard, for many years as well as Studio 3's and Studio 2's.
    I need to downsize now from the Monitors and would appreciate advice on which smaller speakers would be suitable replacements,ie similar frequency range and sound quality.

Cheers Neil T

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    We need to know your working budget?

And when you say "monitors" are we talking active monitors, speakers with amps built in?

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  3. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    It's these I think...

TDL monitor - IMF electronics

I listened to a few TDL models way back - including the Reference Standard (although my favourite TDL was the non-transmission line HPCM model). The big TL's certainly needed a very large listening room to give their best. In smaller spaces, the bass tended to overwhelm and the overall sound was quite soft and recessed in the midrange to my ears.

The sound quality you're after will depend on the room size you used the TDL's in - so what was the size? You'll appreciate that significantly smaller speakers won't give the bass depth of the TDL's.

What's the largest size speaker you can accomodate now? What's the room size? What's the amp? Max budget?

4. snooper

snooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi mate i have some TDL Studio 1's (still going strong). I am not thinking of replacing them but the question has often cropped up that if i did what would i consider. Seeing as you like the transmission lines, PMC is a logical step to consider as they are as well. Don't know about your budget but i am sure people on here who are up to date with current speakers will give you some good pointers and advice. Them monitors were excellent from what i remember but way to big for my room.