TDL studio 10s

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dandle, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Dandle

Dandle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi
    I did a big no no this week and i took a set of speakers home without listening to them. The ones in question are the TDL studio 10s that richersound are selling. I took them as they told me I had 14 days to return if I didnt like them.
    Well I got them home and all I can say was that they sounded like £200 pounds worth of speakers(thought I was getting a bargain). Complete load of rubbish, the top end was really harsh and the only other part of the mussical spectrum they produced was the boomey bottom end.
    I have since found a pair of Mission M35s for only another £80 which I know will be far better. Will let you know how I get on anyway.

I do have to give richer sounds credit in the fact that they took them back with no questions asked. They tried to swap them for MS 906's if I paid some more but were fine about the money back when i wanted it.

~Dan~

2. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dan,

TDL have been famous for a long time for making high quality speakers with
    amazing low end bass response due to the transmission line design.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the studio 10's.

Since their takover (or whatever its called) a number of cheaper models have
    kept appearing at Richer Sounds - i dont know what happened to the brand, but
    unless anyone knows otherwise it looks like there is no connection between the old
    drivers, designs, quality, etc and that what is available today. I seem to remember
    that there were some well received middle of the range speakers released after/during the difficult times - RTL's and such like (if my memory serves me right, it doesn't always...).

Does anyone know - can you still get any of the higher end TDL stuff?

Cheers, Mark.

3. Dandle

Dandle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    After talking to the guys at Richersound it turns out they only bought the name really, so i dont think that any new TDL stuff will be anywhere near the quality of the old TDL equipment. AT least not for some time.

If I remember rightly they bought the M.S. name about 6 years ago and those speakers seem to be getting very good reviews lately.

I've settled for Mission M35's now just waiting for them to be delivered on Monday. The bonus was that they were only £77 more than the TDL's.

Thanks for the input

~Dan~

4. Hostile 17

Hostile 17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a pair of Studio 10's from RS and I've found them to be great for music and moreso films.