1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDL Studio 10

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dom36, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Anyone got the new WhatHiFi?
    If you look on the Richer Sounds page 4, there are a pair of TDL Studio 10 that look amazing.
    Being a big fan of TDL and looking for a replacement for TDL RTL2 these look like an interesting buy, my only worry was RS tend to sell stuff very cheap when its old stock don't they? However I don't think TDL will make any more new speakers as there out of business arn't they??
    Theres no information on the internet about them anywhere though, and they aint even on the Richer Sounds website?
    Thanks for any help...

2. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Dom, I've copy and pasted my reply to scotnl in another thread. I don't know if it helps you much, I've put my money down on them as they are such a bargain right now. The review seems good. It does empahsize the "value". I also wonder if they break down if TDL will honour any warranty as such. I won't be picking them up for about 1 week, so i still have time to change my mind.

Darren

.. The honest character is similar to the TDL speakers of ... more than that. £.
    499.95. Flawless floorstanders! Reviewed by Paul Moody. STUDIO 10.
    ws4.richersounds.com/static/TDL%20Studio%2010.pdf

Anyway, I have just put downa deposit to buy these bad boys. They sounded great in the store. I thought they had good presence and a tight bass with good vocal ability. However, I did not really get to hammer them out. The in store stuff was a Pioneer DV575 and Marantz SR4300.

I have a SR4300, just bought Marantz DV4400 and use an old pair of JPW AP2's. I intend to use these as my surround speakers, and later in the summer, will buy a centre speaker and sub-woof. However, with the bass from these 10's. I know my stereo enjoyment with CD's will be fine. I have a small aparmtent and I have yet to try them out there. Would love to know what you think of them, the price certainly seems right.

In fact, now that they are 300 euro (down from 800 new) i think they are value for money floor standers and these go a long way to save the pocket. Afterall with book shelf speakers we'd need good stands as well.

Also did you bi wire?

Darren

3. Dandle

Dandle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't buy them I made this mistake and then took them back they are truely awful. They are very poorly made and the reason they have the TDL name on them is because Richer bought the rights to the TDL name when they went bust, then banked on selling these poor quality speakers because of the name badge. They were only ever £200 speakers, dont believe the "your getting a bargain" hype no one else has ever sold the Studio 10s and they have only ever been £200 at Richer sounds. If you look at them have a look at the bottom where the TDL name badge is some of them aren't even straight! and the black part at the top is really cheap and tacky.

The sound from them is very harsh and I found that there was lots of bass but it was very uncontrolled and boomy. I was running them on a Marantz SR5200 by the way so there was more than enough power for them. In the end I settled on some Mission M35's although they cost more it was well worth it. It's each to their own but I was pleased when I got my money back as it would have been a total waste of £200 if I hadn't.

~Dan~

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Yes, the TDL Studio 10's are TDL in name alone, and that is all, it is a traversty that such a well renowned brand has been treated this way. Julian Richers other main speaker brand, Mordaunt Short, are MUCH MUCH better.

5. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,153
    The build quality on those TDLs is truly awful. Avoid the smaller bookshelf speakers too, some of the worst (I kid you not) speakers I've ever heard.

6. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks for the tip off guys. i suspose now the choice for me is will I get floor standers at all like the b4s or get the Sivler S2 with decent stands. So much auditioning, so little time...

7. Dandle

Dandle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I only paid £277 for mission M35 floorstanders and they are superb although they do need a good few hours runnning in before you get the best from them. They are superb for the money.

~Dan~

8. howcoh

howcoh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oddly enough, at least for Classical, Jazz and Vocals, I have found these speakers sweet and clear in the upper/mid range and articulate in the bass. I agree there is a lot of bass on offer but positioned twelve inches away from the corner and side walls they are not boomy in my room and set up. I don't know why reviews are so mixed. Perhaps the components have changed in the last couple of years, or maybe they are particularily amp/cable dependent. Anyway, I am very happy with them. I even find the 'piano black' front panels quite attractive. My only gripes are the awful packaging, which makes your fingers come perilously close to the unprotected drivers when using the grab 'cut-outs' in the cardboard boxes and the lack of provision for spikes- nevertheless great value for under £150.

System: Cambridge Azur 640 v2, Arcam 9C and biamped with two 9P's,with Wireworld Orbit for the tweeter/mid range and Mourdant Short Silver Anniversary to the bass

9. abraxus77

abraxus77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought TDL Studio 1M when they were in buisiness. These were not Richer clones nor sold by Richer. I am very happy with them. The Bass is controlled and not Boomy. The sound staging is excellent. Bass is only there when the musical reproduction requires it. Deep Bass!!:D

All-Audiolab (8000Q + 2X 8000 Monoblocs + 8000CDTransport +8000 DACS+ 8000T Tuner)) + TDL Studio 1M + Nakamichi DR1 Tape Deck + Linn LP12 Sondeck + Dynavector 10X5 Cartridge + Rega Fono Stage