TDL Speakers

shaneL

Standard Member
Hi, Just new to this site.

I don't think some people will know alot about these speakers what I'm on about?

Soon I'm going to look and search for a pair of compact TDL Transmission Line speakers. For a pair of TDL Studio 1 M or the TDL 0.75s.

Has anyone had any exp with these rare speakers?

Lots of thanks

Shane

shaneL

Standard Member
Sorry forgot to say that I have a NAD C272 power amp. Please take your time you don't have to reply in a rush.
Thanks for looking at my post above.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I'm curious, why TDL, and why those particular speakers?

TDL's current model line consists of -

Nucleus2 - Entry level bookshelf
KV1 - bookshelf speaker
KV6 - Tower speaker
Studio10 - large tower speaker (similar to Saturn 10)

Current Products

The thing that bothers me about TDL is that it seems to be too much speaker for way too little money.

Here are some examples from Richer Sound -

TDL Saturn 10 @ £99.95
TDL SATURN-10 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

TDL KV6 @ £119
TDL KV6-BCH at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

They are near the bottom end of available tower speakers at Richer -

Richer Sounds Floorstanders Products

Since your models aren't listed among TDL's current models, that means they have been discontinued, and you will have to buy them used.

Of all the used speakers available, why these?

Perhaps it would be better to start off with your budget, and what your needs are. There are plenty of good bookshelf systems in the £80 to £130 range.

Now, it may well be that when TDL first started out, they made some great speakers, and they may still make some good speakers. But once again, I have to ask, why these speakers?

Steve/bluewizard

shaneL

Standard Member
I'm curious, why TDL, and why those particular speakers?

TDL's current model line consists of -

Nucleus2 - Entry level bookshelf
KV1 - bookshelf speaker
KV6 - Tower speaker
Studio10 - large tower speaker (similar to Saturn 10)

Current Products

The thing that bothers me about TDL is that it seems to be too much speaker for way too little money.

Here are some examples from Richer Sound -

TDL Saturn 10 @ £99.95
TDL SATURN-10 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

TDL KV6 @ £119
TDL KV6-BCH at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

They are near the bottom end of available tower speakers at Richer -

Richer Sounds Floorstanders Products

Since your models aren't listed among TDL's current models, that means they have been discontinued, and you will have to buy them used.

Of all the used speakers available, why these?

Perhaps it would be better to start off with your budget, and what your needs are. There are plenty of good bookshelf systems in the £80 to £130 range.

Now, it may well be that when TDL first started out, they made some great speakers, and they may still make some good speakers. But once again, I have to ask, why these speakers?

Steve/bluewizard

Hi,

I like Transmission Line sound. I'm using a pair of rega ela speakers on my system which sound good. But I just want to try something differn't for a change. My father use to have a pair of TDL Reference Monitor ''M'' speakers, I liked how they sound with their deep smooth relaxing sound. My rega Ela speakers are transmission line speakers too, but I fancy something more deeper and punchy sounding. And I am very aware TDL is not making those speakers I speak off anymore.

I hope I'm making sense:(

stevefish69

caus`he`knows`rtl2s`r`the`best``

I agree - Old skool TDL's were brilliant with Bass to die for

I recently picked up some RTL 3's for a friend that did not want a Sub in her system, and my brother still runs 4 RTL 2's in his HC system.

Just watch out if buying second hand, as i know the bass drivers are prone to rubber rot :suicide:

But once again, I have to ask, why these speakers?

Steve/bluewizard

If you ever get the chance to listen to some of these old transmission line speakers, you'd know why ;)

shaneL

Standard Member
I agree - Old skool TDL's were brilliant with Bass to die for

I recently picked up some RTL 3's for a friend that did not want a Sub in her system, and my brother still runs 4 RTL 2's in his HC system.

Just watch out if buying second hand, as i know the bass drivers are prone to rubber rot :suicide:

If you ever get the chance to listen to some of these old transmission line speakers, you'd know why ;)

:hiya:

Thanks for that.

shaneL

Standard Member
Oh sorry I forgot to ask,

What was your favourite classic TDL speaker. That goes to you stevefish69.

Sorry for asking

covdude

Banned
avto`say`mine`r`one`owner`mint

but`is`it`just`time`that`can`rot`them

vmt

Attachments

• 02102008(015).jpg
    02102008(015).jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 1,088

shaneL

Standard Member
were you using a camera phone taking that? Not being rude but the quality is bad.

shaneL

Standard Member
C:\Users\Shane\Documents\100_0872.jpg

C:\Users\Shane\Documents\100_0869.jpg

My system. One thing to say, I don't have that CD layer anymore.

Attachments

• 100_0872.jpg
    100_0872.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,436
Last edited:

covdude

Banned
Nice setup mate

Bloody 2mp camera phone - used to be better think i need to clean lense with something and take pic outside to!

The tdls are like new though but im stil wondering whether they will suffer from rot - ie if time is what does them in ?

Have the tuner and cd player in brothers loft.

yours steve

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Well, it seems somewhat consistent that TDL have roof raising bass. That's probably the Transmission Line design. And, I admit, I really don't know their history. So as I said, in the past, they may have made some sweet speakers indeed. Even now they may make some sweet sounding speakers, but it just seem too much speaker for too little money, and that makes me suspicious.

Keep in mind that I am well aware that my thoughts don't dictate reality.

So, of the past TDL speakers, I simply don't know. Of the current TDL speakers, I'm not saying they are bad, just that I'm suspicious of them.

Sorry, didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

Steve/bluewizard

PeteW123

Novice Member
I can confirm that the TDL KV6 speakers are not that great.

They look great, and they're certainly big and they do put out a lot of bass.

Unfortunately the rest of the sound is a bit muddy.

I did have a pair, but have been upgrading my systems and now have MS 914i speakers instead which sound much much better. The 914i speakers can be a bit harsh, probably because of the aluminium cones, but I have found that the addition of an xls200 subwoofer has made a really nice warm addition to the sound :)

From what I understand, TDL used to be a great name for speakers, but then they got absorbed by the richer sounds group and detiorated in quality. Which makes my above comment ironic, as MS is also part of the same group :)

P

Peter Galbavy

RTL3s were the first "real" speakers I bought and I loved them. They are currently being looked after by a friend on "long term loan" and are still fine - maybe 15 years old now - no rubber rot or anything.

If you like the bass sound of the TDLs then I can recommened - at a price, sadly - the Focal JMLabs speakers. I have a 5.1 set with Chorus 816WSE fronts and the bass matches the TDLs ever step of the way. The are front and bottom ported but they really need to be driven to get the best out of them. I really wonder what the 836Vs must be like (the WSE vs V suffix is another story...)

Sadly, at about £1,400 vs the RTL3 original price of £399, there is a big difference but worth saving the pennies for.

shaneL

Standard Member
I think I will go for the TDL O.75s (They should fit fine in my bedroom) It's going to be hard finding a used pair that's in good condition though:(:(:(:( These are the real transmission line speakers, and they have metal cones.

What do you think?

lowmans100

I have a pair of boxed black RTL2's in the loft (along with other stuff from my old Prologic system). They are great speakers and served me well.

Hopefully I will be able to pass them to a family member who is looking to buy a place of his own in the next year.

Good luck in your search, you won't be disappointed.

shaneL

Standard Member
I have a pair of boxed black RTL2's in the loft (along with other stuff from my old Prologic system). They are great speakers and served me well.

Hopefully I will be able to pass them to a family member who is looking to buy a place of his own in the next year.

Good luck in your search, you won't be disappointed.

Thank you. Good luck with selling your TDL speakers soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom