TDL Saturn 10 speaker problem

caoleuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member having rediscovered my Hi-Fi and all my records.
But I have a problem with my speakers (TDL Saturn 10) the left hand speaker was not working on the tweeter so I took it out and found a broken wire on the tweeter itself, I fixed this with no problem but the tweeter is still not working? I bought two new tweeters and tried them however this made no difference.
I'm now wondering if it could be the crossover board and if this can be replaced?
I also wondered if running the tweeters of the main speaker would be possible or would that cause problems with my amp?

Many thanks for any help, I'm not in a position to replace speakers at the moment so any help would be great

Carole

Have you checked the bi-amp links on the input connectors are all in place?

I assume you mean the metal links on the post's that the speaker wires from the amp plug into? If so yes they are all OK
I'm pretty sure that it's something on the crossover board as I get a steady power reading (can't say how many volts not that sort of meter) on the tweeter terminal wires but the other speaker terminal wires fluctuate as you would expect when playing a record?

I assume that the amp can go on the top or the bottom connectors?
I have them connected to the top ones at the moment

Not sure what you mean by the meter readings. The only reading that matters is the resistance, which should be around 6-8 Ohms on each driver.

It could be the crossover. Most likely a bad joint, damaged capacitor or even a coil that's parted company. You would need some level of electronic knowledge to do a detailed inspection and component level test really.

Hmm Thanks noiseboy72, What if I just replaced the crossover on both speakers would that do the job and can I still get them? If so what am I looking for?

Ok I have had a look at that board but it is a two way board mine I think is a three way board (I have 4 speaker on the speaker?)
What I would like to do (as the original board seems impossible to find) would be to do is find which component is faulty and replace it.
Another option could be to wire the tweeters to the speaker above, would this be possible and could it harm my amp?

I have added a photo of the board but it is quite blurred I will take it out and take another in better light if it helps?

WP_20180510_001.jpg

That looks like a 3 way crossover and everything looks intact. I think you are missing a fault elsewhere. The link I gave you is to a company that also does 3 way crossovers, but this will have a bigger affect on the sound.

Don't wire the tweeter to a different output, as it needs the crossover to filter out the harmful lower frequencies.

I can't think what else it could be as I have tried a new tweeter and that doesn't work either?

s-l1600a.jpg
OK so I have found this online the spec is...
Maximum power:120W - Frequency response:45Hz~20kHz - Applicable impedance:4~8Ω- Applicable: Speakers 8 inches or less (including 8 inches)
They also have the same spec for 10" speakers?

Will two of these (one for each speaker set) work?

No reason why not. They will alter the tonal balance, but should work ok.

Ok it looks like I have a blown capacitor (the end cap has blown) But finding one has been a real headache.
The one I have is made by Topcom (they are no longer in business as far as I can see)
Other information on it read... Bipolar, 3.3MFD, 100WV, NP.

I think that it would be an electrolytic one? I'm told that a good replacement would be a mylar or polypropylene type? (would need both crossovers being changed to same)
I'm no expert as I have said but I think I would be capable of de-soldering and re-soldering the components in place, the only issue with that would be is are the poles positive and negative or does it not matter in this case?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom