Question Tdl RTL 3

Darrendale

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi..
I have a pair of tdl RTL 3 floor standing speakers..
I've been offered a pioneer A-101 amplifier.. does anyone know if this will work or will it clip?
Think the amp is 25w per channel and 170w max power..
And I'm not to sure on the speakers specs

TDL specs as follows...

Description
Two bass units within these 'reflex transmission line' loudspeakers further enhance bass performance, contributing to increased sensitivity and additional power handling.

The TDL RTL 3 is the perfect partner for a larger room. Retaining the fine stereo imaging of their smaller counterparts, room position is not critical, neither are they difficult to drive.

Indeed, they possess the ability to portray accurately the original performance at realistic sound levels, especially when coupled with powerful amplification.

Specifications
Type: 2 way, 3 driver loudspeaker system

Frequency Response: 35Hz to 20kHz

Recommended Amplifier: 20 to 120W

Crossover Frequency: 3000Hz

Impedance: 8Ω

Sensitivity: 90dB

Bass: 2 x 172mm loaded polypropylene cone

Tweeter: 1 x 19mm soft dome

Enclosure: reflex transmission line

Finish: black ash, rosewood

Dimensions: 900 x 200 x 375mm

Weight: 21kg

That amp is only just ..... rated for it Power output: 25 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo) not the best amp by any means for the tdl.. they deserve much better.. clipping is a real danger with that..

Thankyou
I do have an auna cd508-bt amp aswel but when turned up loud the speakers seem to skip and jump like it would if listening to a scratched cd..

Against the auna... i'd have the pioneer any day.. at least the pioneer is a proper hifi amp.

I'd probably say grab yourself a decent 2nd hand nad or rotel seperates with a min of 40w / channel. be ideal.

Was just looking at Yamaha 50w per channel I think and been told Yamaha is pretty decent..
So likely get myself that

I’d still consider the Nad and Rotel amps (as Orobas mentions) and add Cambridge Audios 540 or 640s to the list.

They have all got decent current swings and quite impressive power supplies.

The older Yamahas not quite so much. But the Yamaha would be better than the Pioneer, and, all gods forbid, the Auna.

Hi guys. I have the option of these two amps as it's in my budget at the moment which is a KENWOOD KAF1030 (40wpc)
Or a vintage KENWOOD A-65 (55wpc)

I cant find much as reviews on them goes.. do you know much about them? And how they sound with these speakers? Any help on then is appreciated
Thanks

What’s your budget? If you let us know we may be able to suggest others.

Here’s a couple of budget ones.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Only £65-£70 which I know isn't a lot looking at second hand stuff on ebay and one of these amps is 50 the other is 65

I think the Cambridge 640a would be a better buy. IMO only, the choice is yours.

Or this nad 320bee, may be worth an offer but is still a pretty good price for this growing classic. The Cambridge will be a bit brighter and the nad a little warmer. Note if you have a turntable then worth checking if these have a phono input.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I have the option of these two amps as it's in my budget at the moment which is a KENWOOD KAF1030 (40wpc)
Or a vintage KENWOOD A-65 (55wpc)

I cant find much as reviews on them goes.. do you know much about them? And how they sound with these speakers? Any help on then is appreciated
Thanks
Kenwoods are by nature very bottom heavy... ok for metal, ok for dance.. but anything else.. nah.. they just dont have the class or clarity

I only listen to heavy metal and rock music.. so will they should be okay for that? The only other option in my budget that I can find is cambridge audio a500.
Reviews look good on that but some of them have said not brilliant for metal music so its giving me doubts

Cambridge over the kenwood any day just on the sonic value alone.. the only mull point is the midrange.. its good but only just better than average. You have a good solid output of 65w and the amp is suitable for 6ohm to 16 ohm speakers.. (important note that .. 6.. not 4) The cambridge is lighter on bass than the kenwood but it is musically much better.. A word of caution though on a 2nd hand A500 .. Read this Cambridge A500 Problems - diyAudio

Okay thankyou I have a pioneer subwoofer and a technics graphic equaliser aswel not sure il need it but read it's best to play about with it myself and decide.. thankyou for you help

Satan's guitar.... the graphic equaliser.. you'll find the majority of people here will all say the same thing.. the amp should be run flat or in direct mode.. no graphic or bass / treble control and have the tone set by the speakers and amp / source voicing

Have a look on ebay ... you'll find the Cambridge Audio azur 640A for around £60 (this is a darn fine amp), or a 340A (40w amp), the A5 ... all for around the 60 - 70 quid mark!

One of my beefs - you need lots of bass for metal!

I listen to A LOT of metal and of different types (and impose it on readers of the “what you listening to...” thread), and my conclusion is you need bass that goes fairly deep, is NOT hugely loud but has to be able to produce bass notes that stop and start very quickly. The only way of doing this is having lots of power reserves which equals a big transformer and lots of capacitors. This is why I like Rotel for this type of music, clean power with decent power supplies. Nad has the reserves but tends to haven a slightly slower bass which is also slightly boosted which is not as good for this type of music. The Cambridge will be more like Rotel imo.

Not all Watts are equal when it comes the the power amp!

Just play a bit of Gojira and see if you can differentiate between the kick bass drums of Mario Duplantier and the bass guitar of Jean-Michel Labadie! If you can you should be sorted for metal.

One of my beefs - you need lots of bass for metal!

I listen to A LOT of metal and of different types (and impose it on readers of the “what you listening to...” thread), and my conclusion is you need bass that goes fairly deep, is NOT hugely loud but has to be able to produce bass notes that stop and start very quickly. The only way of doing this is having lots of power reserves which equals a big transformer and lots of capacitors. This is why I like Rotel for this type of music, clean power with decent power supplies. Nad has the reserves but tends to haven a slightly slower bass which is also slightly boosted which is not as good for this type of music. The Cambridge will be more like Rotel imo.

Not all Watts are equal when it comes the the power amp!

Just play a bit of Gojira and see if you can differentiate between the kick bass drums of Mario Duplantier and the bass guitar of Jean-Michel Labadie! If you can you should be sorted for metal.
Amen to that one.. I find the biggest test of the speaker and amp and its quality though is that insane James Blake song... Limit to your love!!!! My dynaudios with my roksan can handle it right up to half power then it overwhelms them!!!

Satan's guitar.... the graphic equaliser.. you'll find the majority of people here will all say the same thing.. the amp should be run flat or in direct mode.. no graphic or bass / treble control and have the tone set by the speakers and amp / source voicing

Have a look on ebay ... you'll find the Cambridge Audio azur 640A for around £60 (this is a darn fine amp), or a 340A (40w amp), the A5 ... all for around the 60 - 70 quid mark!
Okay thank I was just looking for 640A most was too far for me to travel to collect but I have found the 340A
Thankyou

Okay thank I was just looking for 640A most was too far for me to travel to collect but I have found the 340A
Thankyou
Just make sure the amp is in good condition.. has all its connectors and speaker terminals.. there are a good few that have some missing ..especially speaker terminals

This one is in Ilford -

I’d send them a message to see if they can box up, you can then arrange postage, send them labels to print out (via eBay message) and then drop off at a local shop/post office. Post should be about £10 for local drop off with tnt or Hermes.

Worth an email.

This is in Talley, worth a £70-75 offer collected quoting those on eBay cheaper.

From memory the 3xxseries where the budget end, 6xx their mid range so would hold out for a 640 if you can.

This is in Talley, worth a £70-75 offer collected quoting those on eBay cheaper.

From memory the 3xxseries where the budget end, 6xx their mid range so would hold out for a 640 if you can.
That's only up the road from me il give him a message see if he can go lower on it
Thanks

Here is something a bit left field

Arcam AVR250, 100w into two channels and Arcam or some of the most musical avr’s around. These are dirt cheap as they have no hdmi but do have a good built in dac if you want to stream etc. You can also properly integrate your sub and these were £1500 new. You may also be able to bi amp the TDLs as well. This could work very well I think.

£70 from Ascot.

Review

Here is something a bit left field

Arcam AVR250, 100w into two channels and Arcam or some of the most musical avr’s around. These are dirt cheap as they have no hdmi but do have a good built in dac if you want to stream etc. You can also properly integrate your sub and these were £1500 new. You may also be able to bi amp the TDLs as well. This could work very well I think.

£70 from Ascot.

Review

The person who had the speakers before me was using then with an arcam alpha 8 and sounded brilliant but was too far out of my price range..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom