• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question TDL RTL 3 Modification/upgrade advice

J1nkz74

Novice Member
Hi, just about to buy a pair of TDL RTL 3 speakers. I'm getting them for £80 I think it's a good deal, they are in great condition apparently. Will find out tomorrow.
I've been reading up on them and see quite a few posts in various forums about modifying and upgrading these speakers to give drastic improvements to sound quality. All the posts I seen were from years ago now, my question is does anybody reading this know what I'd need and where to get it for a full upgrade? I've never tinkered around with speakers yet so these will be my first project. I'm interested in crossover replacement or modification ideas and or tweeter upgrade ideas. Basically I'd like to know what can I do with a basic original speaker to upgrade them as much as possible? What to get and where to get it and finally how to carry out whatever needs done. I'm really looking forward to getting into this and any and all input would be very much appreciated.
Regards

nylonsyorks

Established Member
Great loudspeakers, had mine for donkeys years, not modified mine drastically etc. One of the tweeters stopped working a few years ago, I ended up replacing both tweeters, to keep them matched, with wharfedale ones that were similar specification. I also replaced the screws holding the drive units with T Bolts for a more secure fixing, cable replacement was straightforward too, I used qed, the existing cable was very poor , I cant say the difference was great, but for what it cost, it was worth it. I also used more wadding in the cabinet, which made the biggest difference. The mdf, chipboard cabinet is very thin on the tdl rtl 3, especially the main baffle, and the extra wadding seemed to tighten the sound up a little. I did consider taking the crossover to an electronics outlet and having a chat about replacing the components with newer, better ones, but all the years of being used as finally began to shake the cabinets apart, clear visible gaps where the sides and top meet. I listened to a pair of q acoustics 3050 with the possiblity of replacing the tdls, but its took me a lot of years to find the sound that I like, sound can be as subjective as the music itself etc, and as nice and clean as the 3050s sounded, they had no real grunt compared to the tdls, lifes one big experiement I sometimes think, theres used be a couple of websites , uk based companies that offered replacements for older speakers, and moreso some sound advice etc, so might be an idea to have an hour or two researching etc, Good luck.

nws56

Standard Member
Hi, just about to buy a pair of TDL RTL 3 speakers. I'm getting them for £80 I think it's a good deal, they are in great condition apparently. Will find out tomorrow.
I've been reading up on them and see quite a few posts in various forums about modifying and upgrading these speakers to give drastic improvements to sound quality. All the posts I seen were from years ago now, my question is does anybody reading this know what I'd need and where to get it for a full upgrade? I've never tinkered around with speakers yet so these will be my first project. I'm interested in crossover replacement or modification ideas and or tweeter upgrade ideas. Basically I'd like to know what can I do with a basic original speaker to upgrade them as much as possible? What to get and where to get it and finally how to carry out whatever needs done. I'm really looking forward to getting into this and any and all input would be very much appreciated.
Regards

Bit late for this I know, but if anyone is still interested in this topic I can give many details since I have just completed a complete reworking of crossover components and placement.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom